Chapter 25

As soon as I get to hit enter, I heard a loud gunshot. I looked back and saw hendric.... bleeding on his chest.... he's no longer breathing...

He was trying to save me... from the last bullet that Bunsgten has. Bungsten was laughing.

"You may have won the case but you lost a part of your life, btch." He said while smiling.

I ran towards him as I was strangling him. But he kept on laughing.

"So this is how important cases are to you huh?" he added.

"You are an evil bitch!" I shouted while strangling him.

After few seconds, the investigation department got into our house. They have received the code and evidences. They took away Bungsten.... but Bungsten took away the part of my life too.

Intrepid came running, worried, crying. He cried harder when he saw Hendric lying on the floor, lifeless... but has fought enough.

"This is all my fault." she said.

"It's not, it was only my job." I replied and I hugged her.

"I'm sorry." she cries.

"For what?" I gently put my hands on her face.

"I won't show up again." she replies.

"Why? I mean, we finished the case. It was a success." I said as tears started to crawl down on my cheeks.

She kissed me... passionately. I responded. I can feel sadness all over us, but with the love conquering the emotions too. It lasted for seconds, but it was the best seconds that seemed to last.

"I'd be back... I promise. I just got things to do... and things to prepare for." she said and she ran.

I never had a chance to see her again after that. She moved from her house and no one knows where she lives now.  It's Hendric's burial, and I cant even manage to look without feeling a part of myself being shattered. I was expecting that Intrepid would come, but she didn't.  Not only that I lost a part of my life, but also my whole life now. The pain I am feeling now is thrice than an infinite number can count. It's devouring me, it's destroying me.

It was hard to play with sharp teeths along escapades. It was hard to play with the devils and send them to hell without getting to know the consequences of the game. It was hard to risk your feelings, your potentials, and those parts of you life, those who become your identity. Because in the end, whether you win the case or not, you end up losing something... and it's always a gameover of a part of you too. We build justice, we build revelations. Thus, the only thing we can build on ourselves are wasted sweats, tears, death and loss. I can like the way how people call me the 'Private eye', but never the way how people doesn't even know how my sidekick should be strongly acknowledged for fighting for this ride too. And never the way how Intrepid decided to leave me too.

Years passed.

"Private eye, someone wants to be your sidekick." my assistant says.

"Who is it?" I asked while still staring at the window.

"Fearless Berry." she answers.

I smiled. She did come back. Let the investigation begin.