CHAPTER 24

Britten slowly opened her eyes and groaned a little as she tried to move. She looked around and saw a young blonde haired man with blue eyes checking some fluids. She wasn't sure if she was dreaming or if it was real because he was in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

She reached for him to see if he was real. When she touched him he turned and looked down at her. "Hey there," he said as he got her to put her hand down. "I'm Doctor Cory Evans, I work for Agent Franklin." She gave him a puzzled look. She didn't know any of the agent's last names.

"Holly," Holly said as he came into the room. Britten looked over at him and took a deep breath. "It's good to see you awake. We were worried for a while."

"I'm alive?"

Holly stared at her for a moment then went over to her. "Were you trying to die?" She nodded. "I heard a gunshot and I. . ."

"You thought Orion was dead." She nodded.

"He's okay, he got shot in the arm. He's in the other room sleeping. He's been up for two days waiting for you to wake up."

"Two days?" Holly nodded and put his hand on hers.

She sighed and looked over at Cory. "Am I okay?" Cory gave her a pleasant smile and nodded. "Labs are good, no broken bones, CAT scan and EEG came back okay and the baby is doing fine. We just had to wait for you to wake up."

"Baby?" Cory nodded. "You're just barely pregnant but everything looks okay." Her head began to swim at the thought of being pregnant. How did that happen, she wondered? She thought about it for a long moment then smiled. She remembered that she didn't make Orion use a condom when they had sex.

She tried to sit up but he wouldn't let her. He raised the head of her bed so that she was sitting up more. "Want visitors?" She gave him a puzzled look and he just smiled. "There are a bunch of men out there waiting to see if you are okay."

She smiled and closed her eyes. She couldn't imagine who would have wanted to hang around to see if she was okay. "I'll go get them." She opened her eyes back up and looked at Cory. He patted her hand and walked off.

Holly grabbed a chair and pulled it up to the bed. He had several questions for her and he wanted to ask before everyone started coming in to see her. "I need to know where the money is Miss Tanelli." Britten adjusted in bed and lightly groaned.

"It's in the house. I thought you knew." Holly shook his head no. "We searched the house Britten, there is no money." She licked her lips. Her mouth was dry. She tried reaching for the water that was on the table near her and Holly grabbed it for her.

She took a few sips then coughed a little. Her throat was still sore from Giovanni trying to choke her to death. "It's in the basement."

"There was nothing down there except for some furniture and a tv."

"The vault is behind a wall."

"Can you show it to me?" She nodded. "Do you know how much money there is?" She shook her head no. "You know you are awful tough for as little as you are. I thought for sure you weren't going to make it through. I thought he would have killed you before we got to you."

"I thought about Orion the whole time, I was fighting because of him." Holly gave her a small smile. "I'm sorry the two of you got so attached to each other." Tears filled her eyes. "I can't see him any more can I?" Holly let out a sigh and sat back in his chair.