Chapter 14

I tucked Elena in her blankets and dropped a light kiss on her forehead. I sat besides her and began stroking her hair. She fell asleep almost immediately while wrapping her arms tightly around her new teddy bear.

Aunt Amira's words kept ringing in my ears. 

Don't allow him to continue hurting you!

The door opened and Claudius walked in. He flashed me a small smile and l returned it. A brief awkward silence settled between us. It has been there ever since l rejected him.

I badly wished everything could go back to the way it was before when we were great friends. I missed teasing him and laughing with him. I missed my friend.

"Are you leaving already?," l asked him , breaking the tense silence between us.

" Not yet. I wanted to talk to you before l leave," he said nervously.

My heart began to race. I knew what he wanted to talk about but l wasn't sure if l was ready to talk about it again.

" Umm okay," l stammered.

I dropped one last kiss on Elena's forehead and turned off the light. I lead Claudius to the balcony with my heart was still racing madly.

When we reached the balcony , we lapsed into a brief , tense silence again. I avoided looking at him so l dropped down my gaze on the floor.

Claudius cleared his throat causing me to raise my eyes to him. I looked into his steel grey eyes for a moment before looking down at my feet again blushing.

Why did Claudius have to develop feelings for me and then confess them. Now l couldn't look him in the eye anymore. I hated it.

"Jane, l know we have talked about this. But ... I ...," his voice trailed off as a blush went across his cheeks.

If it was on normal terms , l would have laughed at his flushed face but instead , l held my breath waiting for the terrible news.

" l can't stay away from you . l love you and l want to be with you," he continued, his voice nervous.

A shiver swept through me. My hands clutched my night dress tightly as l blinked back tears . It pained me every time but l had no choice but to do this.

" l am sorry Claudius. I don't deserve you," l whispered feeling my heart sank at my words.

I was letting him down again. I knew he was being honesty but l simply couldn't accept his proposal. It was cruel to him.

I was broken and damaged!

I couldn't do that to him!

Claudius lifted my chin so that l was staring directly into his steel-grey eyes. His eyes were full of pain and had moisture in them.

"Tell me honestly Jane. Are you not over that scum bag yet?" he demanded in a firm voice.

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of that bastard. I turned away fuming.

"He isn't worthy it! You are throwing away your live for nothing. You deserve to be happy. If not by me then by someone else," he added in an icy voice.

I turned back to him , furry blazing in my eyes.

"Don't you dare mention that asshole in front of me!," l seethed at him.