rejection... v2

Averting eye contact.

Avoiding each other in the halls.

Delegating as to not have to talk to each other.

Was that really how life was going to have to be with Keefe?

Sophie remembered how things had been when she'd broken up with Fitz- they definitely weren't boyfriend/girlfriend anymore- and it looked like their friendship had been lost as well.  But Sophie missed his joking, and his smirk, and his ice blue eyes staring at her from across the classroom...

This was going to be the most awkward conversation ever, but... after Dex, she supposed that was nothing new.  

And she also figured that if Keefe could get anymore alone than he already was now....

His dad was cruel and just downright snobby.  His mom, after the Neverseen were defeated, had either been killed or was in hiding.  Fitz, his best friend, was currently mad at him.  Sophie was avoiding him at all costs, and all their friends seemed to follow suit.

And the way he was so silent...

"Keefe?"  Sophie asked tentatively.  Keefe jumped backwards and Sophie could see his heart pounding underneath his shirt.

"Um.. hi, Sophie."

Sophie?

She tried for a teasing smile.  "I'm sorry about what happened yesterday.  I'm just... conflicted."

"Oh.  Um... I was only doing it for the bet,"  Keefe put in helpfully.  "I don't really... you know..."

"Oh,"  Sophie repeated, her heart thudding back against her chest.  "Okay.  Me too."

An awkward silence fanned through the air.

"Well.. see you around,"  Sophie mumbled, stuffing her hands into her pockets as she hurried in the other direction.

Okay, her mind told her heart.  That's good, right?

Ummm.. sure, her heart shot back.

But... you didn't like him, her head reminded her.  Remember? You rejected him.

I guess, her heart admitted, untruthfully.

—————————

"Ugh.  I can't believe I was friends with this guy!  He was..  what, making a move on my-"

"Sophie's not yours,"  Biana pointed out, rather fiercely.  "She's currently unavailable.  Keefe has every right to ask her out, just like you do.  It's not his fault that Sophie said no."

"How do you know what they said?"  Fitz asked curiously.

"Oh, don't be sillly.  I'd never use my Vanishing to spy on people...."  Biana fell silent under his hard glare.  "Okay! Fine! That time when you almost kissed Sophie?  I was there, gagging and trying not to throw up!  But I promise,"  Biana added.  "I wasn't spying on them."

"Why not?"  Fitz asked suavely.

"It's.. mixed feelings,"  Biana mumbled, shooting Fitz a death glare that told him to not push the subject.

It wasn't really a big secret that Biana used to have a crush on Keefe, before she moved over to Tam.

"Promise me something,"  Biana continued, wiping at her face like she was trying to get rid of her flush.  "One, make up to Keefe.  Tell him that you're sorry- if he kicks you in the shin, good, you deserve it.  And two.... if you're really after Sophie, ask her out.  She said no to Keefe, why can't she say yes to you?"

Biana glared at him coldly. "Is that clear?"

"Crystal,"  Fitz lied.

———————————

"Sophie! Somebody's at the door!"

"Coming," Sophie said, sounding bitterly unenthusiastic.

Edaline hurried away as Sophie hurried downstairs and pulled open the door.

Fitz stood in the doorway, his hair perfectly combed.  He flashed her a nervous smile, offered her his arm, and asked, "Atlantis at 6:00?"

Sophie stared at him, and then her mind flashed to ice blue, then back to teal, and then to blue and teal and...

"No,"  Sophie whispered, turning away and wrenching the door closed before she could see his horrified, heartbroken expression.

And she wasn't even sorry.

Okay, the way I see it, if Keefe gets rejected, Fitzeys gotta get rejected too! See?  They can join Dex in the Angsty Surly Rejected Boy Club together. It's perfect. 😅

And now... we're back to the square.       

😰😰😰...

😅