Asterin

She always had someone to spar with whether it was her parents or a Bane soldier. But this weekend her friend Asterin, the Crown Princess of Adarlan, her aunt Manon and uncle Dorian's daughter, was here. Manon and Dorian weren't really her aunt and uncle but she considered them as, and their daughters her cousins. She was visiting Orynth while her parents and older sisters went to the Wastes without her. Asterin stepped out from behind a weapon stand. She was half-witch and half whatever her uncle Dorian was. "Here to get away from the court and your siblings?" She always had a taunt to her voice just like her mother did. She guessed that's how they always got along. "How did you guess," she said sarcastically. Asterin was dressed similarly to her. Taylor braided back her long red hair. She unsheathed the sword at her back. So did Asterin, at least she didn't use her iron teeth and nails. Asterin launched into the offense. Feigning left and slashing right. Taylor had practiced with her so often that she already knew that move. Which meant that she left her right leg unguarded, but Asterin knew that so why did she use it? So she blocked, then hooked her foot around Asterin's knee, which sent her spinning behind Taylor and falling onto the ground but not before Asterin's sword met her shoulder. She felt warm blood trickling down her back and soaking into her shirt. She whirled and snarled at Asterin holding her elbow, who snarled right back. "You're so lucky I'm fae so that will heal fast. I hate going to the healers." Taylor glared, then just held out a hand. Asterin grabbed it, hauled herself up, and said with a grin, "Round two."

            Asterin had traveled here not on foot or horse, but wyvern. She had a large light grey female named Rhia. After sparring over and over until they were even Asterin had complained that it wasn't fair otherwise and Taylor didn't feel like arguing at the moment. Asterin took her to the aerie where Rhia was finishing her dinner and Asterin saddled her and they lifted into the sky. It was sunset and it was beautiful with oranges, pinks, and purples. It was nice out tonight and so relaxing-until Asterin decided to dive. They plummeted down until they were nearing the ground, which made Taylor close her eyes and held on tight to the saddle. Rhia spread her wings out and flapped her leathery wings until they were above the clouds and soaring back to Orynth. She didn't want to be late to dinner with Asterin. She told Asterin to just give Rhia to a handler but she refused and said she would be to blame for her being late and told her to go on, but Taylor walked around the corner and just leaned against the wall until Asterin came around and found her there. "Should've known not to give you any orders, you never listen unless it's important." She just made a face of outrage. "Hey, dinner is very important to me." At that they both laughed. And after they just walked back to the dining hall in silence.

           When they walked into the dining hall a half an hour late because Asterin insisted that they needed to change so Taylor had lent her a pair of light brown boots, white pants, and a blue tunic that matched her light blond hair and sapphire eyes. Not quite like her mother, her mother's was more golden than light blond like Asterin's. Taylor just wore a pair of dark pants, black boots, and a dark green tunic in Terrasen's colors with the silver embroidery. Taylor and Asterin sat down next to Lysandra and Aedion. Lysandra whispered in her ear,"I don't think I've ever seen you or Aelin miss a meal before. What made you late?" Everyone was quiet if in surprise, that was the only way they showed it. "Me and Asterin went for a ride on Rhia, her wyvern." She replied equally as quiet. Lysandra nodded her head then everyone went on. Soon enough they were eating, enjoying music, and laughing, there was lots of laughing.  As Lysandra and Aedion walked by he squeezed her shoulder to get her attention before they left. "I'll see you tomorrow," he said as she gave both Aedion and Lysandra a hug. Before she headed back she said goodnight to everyone.

           After dinner, she showed Asterin to her chambers and gave her nightclothes to sleep in. She walked down the halls until she reached her chambers and opened the door to find a saddle and riding leathers on her bed. She guessed Asterin had put it there but why and when. And she supposed she would find out tomorrow. She changed into a thin, black nightgown and matching slippers. She sat up in bed with a candle that she lit on the side table and grabbed the book she had started last night. And read into the night.

            When Taylor awoke she found the book she was reading last night still open sitting on her chest. She sat up and put it on the side table next to the bed. She padded over to the dresser where she set the riding leathers and the saddle. She put on the riding leathers Asterin gave her and went down to the aerie not bothering to go to the meeting this morning. Besides magic training wasn't starting until next week.