Chapter 35

They grabbed their things out of their rooms and walked down the boarding plank onto solid ground. Asterin had finally awoken only an hour before they were here. And was now in an aggravating mood. Taylor could feel her magic leap with joy as they were finally back on Terrasen soil. "This is Illium," she told Liara smiling beside her. "It will take us about a full day to reach Orynth from horseback," she added. "It's so beautiful. I love it," Liara said taking it all in. "That building over there is where Brannon Galathynius first stepped onto Terrasen land before it even became Terrasen," Taylor said pointing to the shining temple standing out along the houses and other buildings. She breathed in the scent of her home. Pine and snow. Asterin came up beside her cutting off Brydan from doing it first. "Let's go," Rowan said making a beeline for a tavern across from the dock. They followed him into the building the scent of food and ale stuffing itself up her nose. She grabbed her little sister's hand to keep her away from the men that were looking at them. Disgusting. Breanna was only fifteen and she was nineteen. And yet they were looking at them like that, it made her want to puke. She noticed Brydan giving them a warning glare. She didn't reprimand him for it. Those men deserved it. Rowan led them upstairs and opened the door silently. A man with black hair and sea-green eyes turned to them. "What is it now, your Majesty?" He noticed her standing there with her lips slightly pursed. "Oh, perfect, the Princess is here too," he muttered. Brydan and Soaren scowled and Bryan opened his mouth. "A pleasure to see you as well, Rolfe. You look more or less the same, though the grey in your hair is starting to show with age," she said with a horribly innocent smile before Brydan said something stupid. Asterin let out a huff, and Liara suppressed her grin. Before Rolfe could retort something towards her Rowan said, "Rolfe I came here to warn you. There was an incident while we were over in Doranelle. Let us know if you see anything or anyone unusual. I will fill you in more once we get back to the palace." Rolfe squinted his eyes at Taylor but nodded. He could have scouts positioned and use that wonderful map tattooed across his hands. They followed Rowan out of the room but Taylor once again gave him a sugar-coated smile. He muttered something she chose not to hear.

           Her court no doubt already knew they were almost to Orynth. Which meant her father probably told them all about what happened. But at least she got to spend a day with her friends before the craziness. But just because the day was mostly uneventful didn't mean Rowan stopped snarling when Brydan apparently got too close to her. It was ridiculous. Her father was ridiculous. Wasn't this going to be a perfect welcome home. She just hoped her mother wouldn't wholly embarrass her. Or the males of her court start flipping out like Rowan was. Why did they have to bond in a prison cell? Why couldn't she have met him the way normal people meet their mate? But now her dramatic flair got the best of her it seemed. She was in love with someone she wasn't allowed within six feet of. Asterin had been nagging her for details of how exactly she fell in love with such an idiot, as Asterin refused to stop calling him. Liara helping her explain some parts. Breanna looked between them in slight confusion.

Her heart skipped a beat and she went silent when the city came into view. Liara broke into a smile. The white stone of the palace was as shining and beautiful as ever. The gates were already opened for them by the time they reached the city. People smiled and waved at them. The second that they dismounted from their horses inside the castle walls, her mother and Lysandra were coming towards them. They wrapped Taylor, Breanna, and Soaren into a giant hug. "Taylor Lyria Whitethorn Galathynius we need to talk," her mother said harshly when the hug was broken up. She winced. So Aelin had found out what happened. They broke off from the group went into the castle. But not without Taylor glancing once at Brydan who was in casual conversation with Lysandra. He met her eyes and gave her a quick smile before she slipped inside. Neither of them said a word the whole way to the library. Each second that her mother didn't talk, she got more anxious. They took a seat at a table with two comfy armchairs on either side. "So, you have a mate." Not even a question. She already knew. Taylor nodded. She focused her eyes on the frayed thread of her sleeve. "And you love him?" She nodded again glancing up at her mother's face. It was only concerned. Not mad. Not disappointed. "Good. I want you to know that I am happy that you have found love. But love can be just as much a curse as a blessing." Taylor stayed silent. Aelin leaned back in the chair and crossed her arms. "Now I also heard that you were captured and you caused some trouble. But that won't happen again because you are grounded. And before you start complaining, you are going to have training every day. Not four times a week. Seven." She rested her head on the table as she groaned. "Oh don't complain. It's time for me to meet your mate," her mother said clapping her hands in excitement. "Please don't let Uncle Aedion come at least. He will embarrass me more than you." Aelin smirked. "Is that a challenge?"

A/N: Hi guys! I know I wasn't going to post anymore chapters for a while but I felt bad about leaving you hanging. I hope you are all doing well! I'll try to update again soon.