Chapter 29

They wasted no time getting as far from the city as they could. Rowan had shown her the hidden places where most fae used to stay hidden but they took none of those routes. Sera was smart, she kept them separated at all times. Taylor wasn't even allowed to talk to Soaren or Brydan, not that she wanted to talk to him. But now that they had Soaren it was almost impossible to get free. She was always with Sera. Of all the guards with magic, she had to be with her. But on the bright side, it was fun to irritate her at all hours of the day. "So what are we going to do once we get to your kingdom?" Sera didn't respond. "Well, I'm waiting for my answer." Sera scowled. This was even more fun. Taylor grinned. "This is your fault that I'm annoying you all the time. If you weren't the one guarding me then I wouldn't have to talk to you," she said with a knowing look. "I'm the only one here that would be able to contain your magic if you decided to do something stupid," she replied tightly. Taylor's smile grew. "I'm flattered you think so highly of me. Aren't these some of your 'Queen's' best?" she said gesturing to the others gathered around. Sera glared and didn't respond. She accomplished today's goal. 

        That night Brydan had come to talk to her as they were starting to sleep that night. Sera's eyes flew open at the sound of him coming closer. She relaxed seeing it was him but stayed awake. "Taylor, I'm sorry," he said sitting down closer to her than she liked. "I don't want to hear your apologies. And how can I tell if you mean it or if it's just another lie." "Taylor, please?" he said reaching for her hand. She pulled her hand back before he could touch her. "You touch me, and you'll lose that hand," she snarled at him. Sera shot up from laying down and held a knife at her throat. "Don't talk to my brother that way." Taylor's head was against the wall so she couldn't speak. Sera lowed it slightly. She looked to the knife then at Sera. "I dare you. Do it." she whispered. Sera looked shocked for a moment at the truth in her challenge. "It would make it easier for everyone, wouldn't it?" "I'm not going to kill you. The Queen needs you anyways,"she said lowering the dagger and laying back down. Brydan looked- actually she couldn't read what his face looked like. In between, rage and sorrow? He caught her look but she turned away from him and laid down. After a minute she heard Brydan stand up and walk to Sera. She rolled over, like she was just a restless sleeper, her eyes slightly open enough to see through. She saw Brydan grab Sera's arm and haul her up. Taylor watched Sera's protests to leave her behind unguarded but he dragged her into the woods. As they disappeared from sight Taylor went over to Soaren as quietly as she could and woke him. "You are going to shift and fly back to Doranelle right now or I swear to the gods I will make your life miserable. Understood?" He nodded. She led him out of sight where the light from his shifting wouldn't be seen. "Get father and tell him what happened and that we are going to Karatall. Say that they can't waste time searching for me. Telll them to go straight to the ports and beat us there. Okay?" He nodded again. He shifted and she saw his hawk form soar over the trees and out of sight. She rushed back and laid down as if she never left. 

        "Where is he?" She was startled awake by Sera grabbing her and pinning her to the wall with a crack. Pinning was actually and understatement, more like she threw her into the wall and held her there. "Who?" she asked as mildly as she could without wincing at the pain in her left shoulder. "Your brother." she snarled. "I don't know, he does stupid things like this so often that I lose track of him all the time." She threw Taylor back on the ground. The ache in her shoulder was worth getting Soaren away. She knew that if she had gone with him that they would have to travel on foot, and they wouldn't be able to get to Doranelle before Sera found them again. It was only a few minutes that she had fallen asleep. She decided to get some more rest. Between Brydan and Sera's bickering it might be a while until she was actually able to. So she recalled all of those songs and stories her mother taught her about.  She recalled once when her mother told her about something she told herself when things were hard, I am Aelin Ashryver Galathynius and I will not be afraid. Aelin had told her that years ago when she was starting training with her. Taylor had balked when she saw the small knives. She had been seven then and had never used a weapon before. Besides her magic which had incinerated blankets, books, paintings when she was mad or frightened. Her mother had said that when she was in a tough place she told herself that. She had her try it. She said along with Taylor, I am Taylor Whitethorn Galathynius and I will not be afraid. She had told herself that and kept it close to her heart over the years, hardly needing to say those words until these hard times hit. She had said it in her mind when she learned to ride on a wyvern and soar through the air, when she was plummeting into the river, when she sqaured off against the soldiers on Beltane. She remembered some stories like when Aelin met Rowan and that they hated each other. When she was reunited with Aedion. She fell asleep smiling at those stories, memories, and songs that she played in her head.