ONE

"Courage is the first of human virtues; because it makes all others possible."
~Aristotle
___________________________
{FIRST PERSON POV}
I hear the sound of footsteps. (I wonder who is awake at this time of the night.) I groan trying to initiate sleep. The steps seem to draw closer then abruptly stop. My door quietly opens but I am met with nothing but pure darkness. (I hope this isn't Lisa with one of her silly pranks.) I try switching on my bed lamp when I suddenly hear;
"We need to leave now."
The familiar voice whispers
"Mum? Isn't it too early to wake me up." I whisper back.
"shhh.. (she pauses) Can you hear that?"
I listen for any unusual sound but all I hear is the sound of the wind. As I try to reply, a loud deafening bang is heard.
"It's here, we need to leave now." she says.
"Mum what's here?"I reply. My vision instantly becomes pitch black. I try calling her name but no sound leaves my mouth...
___________________________

I wake up lazily, feeling beads of sweat around my forehead. I quickly check the time realising I woke up quite early. I lean back in bed. (Definitely not an early bird, but first impression matters a lot, they say.)

After getting ready, I begin my journey downstairs. I realise I am indeed the first to wake up. The house seems eerily quiet not until I spot my mum who looks fabulously dressed for work.
"Good Morning mum."
"Morning dear, I see you're quite excited to go to school." she smirks.
"Yes, I mean no. Okay in between. " (I huff. Stuck with my indecision, I quickly ask.) "Has dad gone to work yet?"
"Yes, he said he's sorry he couldn't see you off."
"Mum, it's med school, not Kindergarten, I'm okay."
She beelines for the coffee machine.
"if you say so. Sadly I have to wait for your brother to get ready not the reverse." she sighs.
I chuckle, retrieving my customized rose gold cereal bowl. I pour some cereal with an insane amount of half-frozen milk. Sue me but that's just the way I love it!.
I finish my 'breakfast'. (knowing my younger brother, he won't be coming down any time soon.)
I then retrieve the keys to my grey Lamborghini Veneno, mentally picturing my sweet ride to school. I open the front door breathing in some fresh air while chanting positive vibes. (Today's going to be splendid. Nightmares can't ruin your day, never have and never will.)
Just as I'm about to step out, I hear a masculine voice.
"Good to see you, neighbour."
I cringe.
(oh no!)

___________________________
Thanks so much for reading. Don't forget to vote, comment or share. 🙏