THREE

"When old people speak, it is not because of the sweetness of the words in their mouth. It is because they see something which you do not see."
~Chinua Achebe
___________________________

As I park my car outside the café, I admire the beauty still not believing it's actually mine. I guess this has been the best birthday gift ever. I remember how I always fantasized about this car, willing to save every dime even if it meant buying it at forty.
Such is life.
"What a robust car you've got there."
"Thanks, Ryan. It was my birthday gift from last year." I smile sheepishly.
"I can tell it was from your dad. No guessing."
"Enough about me, why don't we go inside and catch up."
As we enter the café I notice it's quite empty considering it's after - school hours. I take a seat at the back of the café while Ryan volunteers to get our order.
He comes back, dropping the coffee mugs on the table. "So, how's life in Finnel?" I ask.
"Not bad. My mum actually wanted us to come here for summer but something came up." he replies.
I nod.
"Everyone misses you guys. Even Lisa will freak out if she hears I met you without inviting her."
He laughs "how about that nosy neighbour of yours. Elliot or is it, Edward."
"Edward," I say. "Guess the interesting part, he even goes to medical school with me."
"Are you for real? What does he intend to specialise in"
"Paediatrics, I think."
"Oh no!! Poor kids". We laugh
"So what about you. "
"Neurology, it's mentally appealing," I joke. "Do you still intend to fly? "
"Of course, that's why I actually visited Rosewood. we are having a three-day training conference."
"Right. Should I be expecting a free cruise in the future? "
"Of course, you'll be my number one passenger."
We reminisced our childhood memories, our dreams and fears.
"I guess everything that has a beginning must have an end." I say feeling reluctant.
"Do you mind joining me for a ride, I might even give you the privilege of driving the Veneno. " I say
(I remember him saying his hotel was a walkable distance from the café.)
"What? You know...."
I hear someone coughing violently. I turn, trying to locate the source of the sound. I'm surprised to see a middle-aged man waving at me. I quickly walk up to him.
"Excuse me, sir, do you mind if I get you a glass of water."
"No need, but please give this to the attendant." He drops some bills on the table.
"Okay." I felt a bit hesitant considering he looked in dire need of water. On my way to the counter, I felt someone touch my arm. The man said two shocking words "Be careful." I slowly nodded and left. Ryan meets me at the counter. He asks,
"Is he one of the nosy neighbours?"
"No, I've never met him before." I look back to the now-empty seat. (confused)
"Strange."

___________________________
Thanks so much for reading. Don't forget to vote, comment or share. 🙏