TWENTY THREE

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."
~Albert Einstein
___________________________
"Do you remember him?" Dr Smith asks. He passes a small folder through the aperture of my room door.
A name boldly written in red ink appears on the cover of the folder. (Professor Mark Drew. Who could that be?)
As I open the folder, my face pales on sighting the photograph. I see a face I thought I would never see again.
*****************************
"You have not answered any of my questions. If you are overwhelmed, I can come back later." Dr Smith says.
"No need." (I pause.) "He is the dead carrier, isn't he?" I ask.
Dr Smith affirms.
I narrate my encounter;
I quickly walked up to him.
"Excuse me, sir, do you mind if I get you a glass of water?"
"No need, but please give this to the attendant." He dropped some bills on the table.
"Okay." I felt a bit hesitant, considering he looked in dire need of water. On my way to the counter, I felt someone touch my arm. The man said two shocking words "Be careful." I slowly nodded and left. Ryan met me at the counter. He asked;
"Is he one of the nosy neighbours?"
"No, I have never met him before." I looked back to the then-empty seat. (confused)
"Strange."
*****************************
"I advise you to give us your maximum co-operation if you intend to leave this facility." Dr Smith says.
"Okay, I am willing" I respond.
"Let me tell you a little secret. With the Senatorial elections coming up in the next 6 months, Marshall intends to win by all means." He says. I nod understandably.
"No politician wants their career marred by scandals. A dead carrier is enough meat for the press." Dr Lance says.
"Why can't Marshall just resign if the facility may create a bad image for him?" I ask. Dr Lance smiles.
"That is because this is where his career began. As the director of the facility and one who is in charge of all financial affairs of it- he knows the right people to meet for sponsorship and knows the right moves to make. If he quits now, he will be out of touch with his sponsors. If you know what I mean."
I sigh.
"This is more complicated than I thought."
"He will be willing to sweep this case under the carpet if it will be the only means for him to win the election." he says.
___________________________
Thanks so much for reading. Don't forget to vote, comment or share.🙏