23 - Forgiveness For False Sins

He had to be quiet. The man holding onto him was finally calm in a hopefully dreamless sleep. The man no longer shivered with nerves, simply just squeezing him every so often.

He moved very carefully. Sliding his hand out from under the man's, readjusting it to sit where it sat before. Then he pulled the little gold cross that hung almost under his armpit, clutching it in a damp hand. 

He closed his eyes, listening to the man's sleeping for a small moment before he began a whisper almost unheard by a human ear.

"Dear Heavenly Father, please do one thing; Let him sleep peacefully. I don't understand. Why does he have to go through this? Why does such a happy, nice guy get taunted by his own dreams? Why doesn't he get to be peaceful?"

He licked his lips, pausing to see if he woke the man up. Nothing but small snores filled the room alongside a rising sun beyond the curtains. Little puffs of airbrushed past his ear, his foot numb under the weight of the man's leg.

He sucked in a shaky breath, "Father, forgive me for the lack of disrespect. Forgive me for not knowing what is wrong. Forgive me for my anger and my distrust. Forgive me for not being there in time to truly help him. Just...what does a man like him do to get this pain? And what do I need to change it?"

The man shifted behind him, giving a gentle, absentminded squeeze that unfairly sent waves of safety and calmness through him. It should be the other way around.

"Please, Lord, forgive him for what has happened in his time and let him lye in peace. Let him fly and not sink...and please let him sleep."

For we have sunk together.

"Amen."

Then he closed his eyes and sunk into the man. The man opened his eyes, glancing down at the sleepy angel in his arms. 

Please, Lord. Protect him and not me.