36 - A Tad Grateful

He stood in the middle of his bedroom where he was left. It had been a good few minutes since the front door clicked shut. He had no moved. Standing there with a stiff body and a sunken heart. His room was dark with only the light outside his window to brighten his room. It was okay though, he found some kind of comfort in the dark. He had been in it for most of his life.

The light burned.

Licking his lips, he pushed away a stray tear and pulled his golden cross out from underneath his shirt. He gripped it, twirling it inside of his fist while he stared at his door.

"Dear Heavenly Father, I pray to thee in thanks. Two days I wanted to flush my cross down the toilet a few days ago and now here I am praying to thee," He laughed dryly, sniffing while he twisted the cross. "Bet I forgiven you- only a bit. I forgive you because you built trust for Ward. You gave his confidence. You guided his friends toward acceptance and encouraged his confidence. Thank you, Father, for supporting him. He is truly the strongest man I know. 

"If by any chance, I ever become half the man he is today, then I will be safe in the world. I will be proud and successful. I will have a family who will never betray me." That one hurt to say. It always will be, "Thank you for relieving him just a small bit. It's a slow, rough but I am grateful."

The light outside flickered alongside his heart. His lungs still felt without air. He dropped the cross against his shirt. He licked his lips and nodded to nothing in the world. 

"Amen."