31 - House Keeping

"You look pumped," One of his hosts, Jace, laughed as he plopped down in the lawn chair next to him, despite his best friend's shit being on it. 

He gave a weak smile, not able to disappoint anyone let alone Jace. No one could disappoint Jace, it was an unspoken rule. 

So he managed a weak smile, shrugging as he turned back to the pool bustling with hockey players. It's a bit funny how all these hockey players still got together on the offseason to do 'team bonding' or whatever shit coach could say. It wasn't shocking they all were so willing to do it, the team was one big, obnoxious family.

"I think the sun is giving me a headache," He forced a laugh when all he wanted to do was go to confession and cry. 

He should be used to it all. He should be looking at his friends with trust and amusement. Not fear and disgust. He should be having a good time with his band of idiots. Not bumming in a sunchair, acting as aloof as the little boy scowling in the window.

Jace laughed and nodded, looking towards the pool where there was a chicken game battling, "I guess that can happen. You should get more water, it might help," He shrugged, gesturing towards the sliding porch doors that lead straight into the kitchen. 

He nodded, anything to get away for a few moments. So he stood up, avoiding splashes of water and cringing at screams. He felt a bit guilty just walking into someone's house. Even if Jace and Kenny had the team over at the Locke house all the time. 

On his walk, he prayed a silent prayer in his head as he kept his face straight, "Dear Heavenly Father, I pray to thee for strength and guidance. I am beginning to doubt my self in the face of sin and I find myself scared. I pray to thee to give me strength to find my true self and fight against sin. I pray to thee to guide me in the direction of holiness and my true identity. Please, Lord, guide me down a righteous path to find myself before I stupidly act on the sin-"

He cringed at the water that caught his foot but kept walking straight, "Please, Father. I pray to thee for help. Amen."

Cautiously, he peered into the glass doors, looking for a sign of life AKA Mr. Locke. When he saw no one, he took a deep breath to gather his balls and slide the door open. He crept in, mildly curious where Mr. Locke and Jace's cranky little brother was. 

On his way to the fridge with a plastic cup, the question was answered. Somewhere faint in the house he could hear Mr. Locke.

"No one will know, pretty boy, no one will care," He frowned, completely stopped in his mission for hydration. Mr. Locke was clearly trying to sneak something out of someone but it was a question of who? A question of what?

"I'm serious. I will not. So go outside, wait for the pizza, and do your little prayer. I'm not doing it today," It was the little brother, Warren, sternly scolding Mr. Warren. It still did not hint to what they were arguing about.

"You've been doing it for years, what's the difference now? There's nothing better for you to do if you won't go outside with your brother."

"Get out. Come back when all the pissy little boys downstairs are gone," Then there was a slam of a door that made him flinch. 

Instantly, he snapped into the action of getting water as he heard footsteps coming out from the hallway past the living room. When he first got a glance of Mr. Locke, the man had a small frown on his face. When Mr. Locke got a first glance at the boy holding a plastic cup of water, he quickly picked up a smile.

"Hello, Elliot."

He gave a faint, forced smile, nodding, "Hello, Mr. Locke. Is everything okay?"

Mr. Locke bit his lip and nodded, he could tell Mr. Locke was trying to stay upbeat, "Yes, of course. Just Warren being a bit difficult. Wouldn't help me get some chores done while you are all out here. He claims it makes him seem too feminine," Mr. Locke chuckled, opening the door for both of them. 

He nodded, completely believing that little Warren Baxter would want to keep any masculinity he held. The team would eat up the idea of the younger, smaller boy was a housekeeper.

He didn't think of why Mr. Locke would want to do chores at five o'clock at night with a gaggle of visitors coming and going. But no one ever did; Never questioned it.