35 - Made With Love And Whole Fat Cheese

Sheri and Noel got this big idea of making a 'Welcome Home!' dinner. As if they had been on a six-month tour or some shit.

Neither Ward nor Elliot wanted to socialize. No one understood besides getting back from a funeral. Of course, they wouldn't want to do much. Who would?

In spite of Sheri and Noel's good intentions to lift the spirits, it would mostly take time for either boy to move forward in light spirits. Both lost something mighty in their last trip up north. Something homemade mac n' cheese couldn't fix. But the thought was nice.

While both boys wanted to stay together, they separated to refresh and put on decent clothing. When, in reality, they sat on their beds in just underwear after scrubbing themselves raw in the shower. As robots, they moved. Brushing teeth, combing hair, sliding on clothes, and tieing shoes.

Now, in some way, they both felt dirty. In a new way, they never had before. Even if the words were formed to explain to everyone else, no one would understand but each other.

Ward was lucky in the sense that Noel was at Sheri's getting ready so he could brood alone. Elliot had to try his best to act normal while Andy drove him up the wall and Tom who tried to help but was curious. In the end, Tom finally got the idea and pulled Andy away to get ready as well. 

Andy and Tom left first. Elliot sat on the couch with the TV playing Diners, Drive-ins, and Drives. The last words in a silent ride were Ward muttering, "I'll pick you up at six". Elliot didn't fight the request even knowing Noel said dinner started at six. So he waited while Ward gathered the guts to muster a smile and got in the car to pick up his person.

Elliot fumbled up at the sound of the doorbell going off. He didn't bat an eye at the idea that Ward has always just barged in. Both their brains were fucked and their hearts still buffering to accept what had just happened. So Elliot fumbled, finding his wallet and his phone and all his shit when he finally made it to the door.

Elliot sucked in a deep breath when he wasn't confronted with a classic Ward grin. As much as he had seen Ward's unsettling frown the past couple of days, it was never going to be familiar. He would always expect to see Ward's yellow teeth and bright eyes.

They stood their, their breathing heavy as the bags pulling down dull eyes. The Ward slowly brought his hands up to Elliot's cheeks, pulling the man to meet halfway where he produced the most tender kiss he has ever produced. 

As the well-trained man, Elliot's heart pushed him forward and met Ward with an equally tender kiss. Ward's hands around his face and chapped lips gracing chapped lips, Elliot found his stomach calming for the split minute they could both hold their breaths. 

When that moment broke, Ward didn't let go of Elliot's face, merely rested sweaty forehead against sweaty forehead. Both their eyes were closed, their chests panting. One last moment of them before the rest came along to squash silent solidarity. 

"Thank you," Almost unheard by the human ear. 

Elliot had heard it, though. So he licked his lips, placing his hands over his Ward's, and he whispered back, "Thank you."

The minutes counted on while the party got frustrated on where their guests of honor were. The guests of honor didn't give a fuck about time or space or anything that pushed them further in a box. 

Ward sucked in a shaky breath, his hands shaking on Elliot's face, "I'm going to tell them."

That was enough cause for Elliot to open his eyes and pull his forehead away from Ward's. He kept his hands over Ward, however, knowing they both need the pressure. He scanned and assessed Ward's unusually calm face. A little frown had creased between Elliot's eyebrows as he tried to figure out what to say or do.