NINETEEN

Belle's POV

With each of my locks lightly curled and my body wrapped tightly in a dress that, dare I say, did wonders for my figure, I looked just about ready to smash today's presentation. Though on the inside, felt only capable of crumbling.

"God I can't stop shaking," I told Arden, who had been nothing short of amazing in my preparation.

Practice speech, extensive research. You name it; he made me do it all.

"Don't be nervous. You know everything about the presentation and you look great," he insisted, dragging his gaze along the length of my legs.

Lizzie had taken me shopping, stating I couldn't turn up to my presentation looking like a sweet girl (her words, not mine) and made sure I was equipped in all the relevant gear. She assured me the red heels with the orange platforms looked amazing paired with my black and white skater dress, which fell nicely to my knees. Its zigzag pattern offered the overall design a jazzy vibe and the thick, red belt that held tightly in place at my waist gave the rather straight cut number added shape.

"You sure it's not too much? The shoes don't look stupid, do they?"

"No baby, you look just the right amount of sexy and cute," he ensured, moving from his position to land a kiss on my nose, not wanting to smudge my lipstick.

I twisted to face the full-length mirror and decided that I did indeed look good and needed to stop fussing over my appearance and focus more on what I was going to say.

"What are my menus again?" I questioned, popping the essentials in my bag; keys, phone, mint.

"Italian is you clients favorite dish."

"Right. Yeah, got it," I replied, turning to face my gorgeous man. "I think I'm ready."

"Your carriage awaits."

Arden had offered to drive me, no bodyguard on site. Just me and Arden.

Luckily, traffic was light and although likely paying an arm and a leg for congestion charge, I must admit, doing so by car was a much easier way to travel.

"I'll meet you back here in about an hour, okay?" he smiled, planting a sweet kiss on my cheek. "You've got this, sweetheart. Knock 'em dead," he winked, pulling away shortly after I stepped out.

I watched him carefully manoeuvre his Bugatti La Voiture Noire around Time Square and once I was assured I had my breathing patterns back to normal, twisted in my stance in order to make my grand entrance. Unfortunately, I didn't watch where I was going and as I was slammed into a nearby body, I immediately began my apologies, fearful I'd hurt someone in the collision.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I'm such a-"

My sentence faltered in the back of my throat as I found myself face-to-face with Mr cold steely eyes; his sickening smirk and greedy gaze telling me his abrupt presence was anything but coincidental.

"Watch where you're going. You never know who's right behind you," he sniggered, gaining joy from my horrified expression.

His ugly tattoos moved as he threw his arm to his lips and laughed, the very sound making me recoil in fear. I simply bypassed his looming stance and rushed my way to the double glass doors, on the verge of actual tears.

Don't cry. Do not cry!

"Hi, Belle Campbell. I have a presentation at eleven," I gushed to the receptionist, checking behind me to make sure he hadn't followed.

He hadn't.

"Brilliant. Take a seat Belle, and Francesca will be out shortly. Can I get you a coffee?" she replied; pearly white teeth on show.