THIRTY SEVEN: RESULT

Belle's POV

The result have come earlier. Knowing that Arden was busy the whole Morning, I decided to get the result myself at ten.

"Too bad that your husband couldn't make it. Well, Belle, the result came in and it means that you're pregnant."

She looks up at me, her eyes serious.

What? No. No. No. Fuck.

I gape at Dr. Rove, my world collapsing around me. A baby. A baby at twenty three. I don't, I mean I'm not ready to have a baby yet. Fuck. And I know that deep down Arden is going to freak. Yes, we talked about it before that he wanted to have a baby as soon as possible, but I don't really think he meant right now.

"Belle, you're very pale. Would you like a glass of water?"

"Please." My voice is very audible. My mind is racing. Pregnant? When?

"I take it you're surprised."

I nod mutely at the good doctor as she hands me a glass of water from her conveniently placed water cooler. I take a welcome sip. "Shocked." I whisper.

"We could do an ultrasound to see how advanced the pregnancy is. Judging by your reaction, I suspect you're just a couple of weeks pregnant. I take you haven't been suffering any other symptoms?"

I shake my head mutely. Symptoms? I don't think so.

Arden is going to freak.

"Have you been bleeding at all?"

I frown. "No."

"That's normal for the Depo. Let's do an ultrasound shall we? I have time."

I nod, bewildered, and Dr. Rove directs me toward a black leather exam table behind a screen.

"If you'll just slip off your skirt, underwear, and cover yourself with the blanket on the table, we'll go from there," she says briskly.

Underwear? I was expecting an ultrasound scan over my belly. Why do I need to remove my panties? I shrug in consternation then quickly do as she says and lie down beneath the soft white blanket.

"That's good." Dr. Rove appears at the end of the table, pulling the ultrasound machine closer. It's a hi-tech stack of computers. Sitting down, She positions the screen so that we can both see it and jogs the trackball on the keyboard. The screen pings into life.

"If you could lift and bend your knees, then part them wide." She says matter of factly.

I frown warily.

"This is a transvaginal ultrasound. If you're only just pregnant, we should be able to find the baby with this." She holds up a long white probe.

Oh, you have got to be kidding!

"Okay," I mutter, mortified, and do as she says. Roven pulls a condom over the wand and lubricates it with a clear gel.

"Belle, If you could relax."

Relax? I'm pregnant, damn it! How do you expect me to relax? I blush, and endeavor to find my happy place... which has relocated somewhere near the lost island.

Slowly and gently she inserts the probe.

Holy fuck!

All I can see in the screen is the visual equivalent of white noise—although it's more sephia in color. Slowly, Dr. Rove moves the probe about, and it's very disconcerting.

"There." She murmurs. She presses a button, freezing the picture on the screen, and points to a tiny dot in the sephia storm. it's a small circle, like a bean. There's a tiny little dot in my belly. So small. Wow. I forget my discomfort as I stare shell-shocked at my little one.