~6~

~Adam~

It was on a weekend and I was in the dining room doodling on my sketch pad while mom was in the sitting room with one of her friends, they were talking and the sound of their occasional laughter filled the house. I could make out some of the conversations. The friend was a fabric dealer and she was trying to sell a cord lace to mom.

'Mummy Adam, you should buy this corded lace. You can't get something like this anywhere else in this Lagos.'

I mentally rolled my eyes. These people and always trying to sell their waves. Mom said nothing for a while and I could imagine her running her hands on the fabric, probably to test if it was original.

'This looks common. Are you sure people are not already wearing it?'

The fabric woman gave a very dramatic sigh and I shook my head. People were already wearing it, there was no doubt about that.

'This fabric? Lai Lai. In this Lagos? It is just not possible. I can vouch for you that I'm the only dealer that has it. And you just imagine wearing it and accompanying your husband to one of those Lagos parties.'

I paused for a while. I knew mom might pretend to think about not buying it but the textile woman already worked her trick. Mom would do anything to please dad. Dad loved to show mom off. He loved to show her delicate ego-oyinbo skin, he liked to flaunt her delicate and surreal beauty. He especially loved it whenever she dressed glamorously so mom was going to buy the lace.

'You know my husband doesn't fancy all the colors. They're too shiny and it looks razz.'

There was an edge to her voice when she spoke, a smile, a small coy tone she use any time she talks about her husband to her friends.

A coy tone suggests that he's the best husband.

The same husband that slapped you just this morning for taking too long to serve his breakfast.

I stood up suddenly and the chair I was sitting on pushed back, the metal legs making a crackling sound with the floor. Mom was in the dining in less than a second.

'Korede, what was that? Are you alright?'

Of course, I'm alright. I'm very alright.

I nodded and walked past her to climb the stairs. I needed to go to my room. To do something, to do anything to block the memories of her sound his palm made when it connected to her cheeks. I was not supposed to hear. I was not supposed to know. He never hit mom if I was there. When he slapped her this morning, he did not know I was already climbing down the stairs.

I got to my room and I locked the door behind me. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I brought it out. It was Charles again. I rolled my eyes before picking it up.

'Coz, how far na? You finally picked up after two years. Did I offend you?'

I winched at his fake American accent. It always turned me off but it did the trick he wanted. The girls were always attracted to him by it. Well, according to him sha.

'Nah, I was busy.'

He chuckled.

'You were busy for two weeks straight? Come on, coz, look for a more suitable excuse.'

I said nothing and we did a battle of silence for a little while before he spoke again.

'One of my guys is holding a party next weekend. Are you up for it?'