Part 23: Reunion

Ben skillfully landed the ship between the trees. You looked at each other, smiling. You had made it. The storm was past now.

You looked out the window at the cheerful people all around. No one seemed to notice your ship landing.

Ben looked nervous. Although he had already been there today, you knew it must not have been a very warm welcome.

"Together?" You said to him, holding out your hand.

"Together." He answered, lowering his large hand into yours.

You walked down the ramp hand in hand. As you reached the bottom, the atmosphere changed. Everyone around you stopped and stared.

You both stood there, frozen. Until suddenly, the crowd burst out into cheers. They were cheering for you.

Poe and Finn pushed their way through the crowd until they were in front of you. You were so thankful to see them okay. They wrapped you into a group hug, with Ben awkwardly standing beside you.

He looked down at you, and you knew what that meant. "Go find her. I'll catch up."

Ben nodded and began to make his way through the crowd.

Finn looked at you with a confused expression, "So you and Kylo?"

You smiled and shook you head, "no. Me and Ben."

Poe began to shake his head. "I knew it."

Finn proceeded to give him a look. "No you didn't."

You laughed at their exchange and turned your attention to Poe. "What did you want to tell me earlier?"

He looked startled at your question and brought his hand up to rub the back of his neck. "Oh. Um I don't think it's relevant anymore."

With a smirk, you gave him a lighthearted reply, "Okay weirdo."

After a few minutes, you knew it was time to find Ben. You started to make your way through the crowd. As you went, hands patted your back, giving congratulations. Others took you into full on embraces.

At the end of the crowd, you saw Ben hugging his mother. It warmed your heart seeing him there, wrapped in an embrace with the one other person he loved.

You watched from a distance until they let go, and then you made your way to them.

Seeing you, Leia pulled you into her familiar warm arms. "Thank you." Is all she said.

Not knowing how to reply, you rested your head on her shoulder, showing a more physical sign of thanks.

The rest of the night went by in celebration. You spent the whole night next to Ben. It was perfect. A feast was made with the most delicious foods you had ever eaten.

As everyone sat in a clearing between the large trees, you watched as fireworks lit up the sky. You rested your shoulder on Ben, who wrapped his large arm around you.

You noticed the fireworks reflecting off of something shiny in his hand.

"What's that?" You asked as you pointed towards his hand.

Instead of answering you, he got up. He grabbed your hand, pulling you up after him. The commotion had gotten the attention of the people sitting around you.

Before you knew what was going on, he leaned down onto one knee. You looked down to see his dark hair flowing away from his face. He had a boyish smile on his face mixed with nervous eyes.

His face grew serious as he kept hold of your hand and began to speak. "Yvonne, when we first met, you showed me just how powerful the light side was. You believed in me when no one else did. I needed you then and I need you now."

He showed the beautiful golden ring, with small engravings covering its surface. It looked so small between his large fingers.  "Will you marry me?"

At first you were speechless. The only response you could give was shaking your head yes. But as the smile grew wider on your face, you were able to speak, "Yes."

He let out a breath as he placed the ring around your finger. He stood up and took you into a hug. He picked you up off of your feet and swung you around. You held tightly onto his broad shoulders.

A wave of cheers filled the air as word of what just happened passed through the valley.

The rest of the night was filled with more congratulations, as well as a visit from Ann and Eli, who were doing just fine together.

You and Ben spent the night cuddled up in the same bed you had been cuffed to on your first night on Ajan Kloss.