Chapter 55-Maeve Day

I try to process Jaxson's words through Sila's cries. If Maeve's phone is at HillCrest House, then where is Maeve?

"Jaxson," I say, my hands fumbling around with my nightlight, "her car was gone. I don't see why she would have left without her phone..."

"Exactly," Jaxson says, crossing his arms. "Which is why we need to find her AS freaking P!"

"We need to go back to HillCrest House."

"What about Psycho Grandpa? What if it's another one of his traps?"

"I don't think he can hurt us right now."

My night light turns on, sending little green stars all about the walls. A happy grunt comes from Silas, who grabs his bottle and snuggles himself back down in his blankie.

"Why?" Jaxson asks as we head for the door.

"Well, for one, he's passed out cold on the basement floor thanks to Maverick and two," I say, reaching for Malcolm's sage stone from my pocket, "I have this."

"You got Malcolm's little red stone. Am I supposed to be impressed?"

"Wait. What?" I say, looking down to give the stone a once over.

"I said, what the hell is so special about his wannabe magic rock?"

"Not that, what color did you say it was?"

"Seriously, Vel, we don't have time for this. We gotta find my Mom!"

"What freaking color Jin!"

"It's red, Vel, as red as your ginger-ass hair!"

What the hell is happening? "Jaxson," I say, looking back at him in surprise. "This is a sage stone. It's green!"

"Vel, you must not be a hundred percent better yet, because that rock is red as hell."

Does this mean... "Jaxson! What color are these stars?" I ask, my hands failing around to point up to the ceiling.

"Red," Jaxson says, uncrossing his arms to shake me. "WE GOT TO GO!"

Holy shit. The green HAS to mean something. If Malcolm's taught me anything, besides what not to wear, it's that there are no coincidences. So, I slide the sage stone back in my pocket and run over to my nightlight.

"Sorry, Silas Bear," I say, unplugging the nightlight from the wall.

"What the hell, Vel!" Jaxson says, trying to quiet Silas, whose little cries spiked as soon as the room went dark.

"No time to explain." I grab Jaxson and pull him out the door. "Jin is going to meet us, then we'll head back to HillCrest House," I say through heavy breaths as we race down the stairs.

We get to the living room to find Mr. Hundrek waiting awkwardly.

"I still hear the baby crying," Hundrek says as we rush over to put our shoes on.

"No shit," Jaxson says.

"Say that again?" Hundrek says, assuming his principal stance.

"Think of it as an opportunity to practice your Daddy skills! Go rock him to sleep," I say, throwing open the door.

"Wait!" Hundrek yells.

"You'll do great!" I call back.

Jaxson and I run over to Maverick's car and throw open the doors to slide into the backseat. As soon as I sit down, I'm met by a warm hug—Jin. When I woke up, I didn't know if I'd see him again. I didn't know if he'd want to see me again. So, I let his hug calm every worry—only for a second.