Prologue

I hastily navigate the hallways as I attempt to make my way to the exit, however, I was not expecting to run into Murphy bound to a chair. I rush over to his side, he's knocked out. I kneel to the ground and attempt to untie his bonds

"He's alive." Titus mutters.

"What did you do to my friend ?" I ask in disbelief.

"Your friend. Was caught stealing from people on their way to the Polis market."

I turn my attention back to Murphy as he stirs awake, "Hey, you're okay." I whisper, holding his face in my hands for reassurance.

"Please don't do that." Titus pleas as he raises a gun towards me.

My eyes widen as I slowly stand up from my place on the ground, hands in the air as to not set him off.

"Titus, what is this about?."

"I'm sorry it had to come to this Clarke, I truly am." the man admits, cocking the gun.

"Look, i'm leaving right now. Octavia is waiting for me. Just let me take Murphy and we'll go." I shakely reply, trying to talk him out of it.

"Wish I could. Lexa would never execute her duty while you live."

I glare at the man and snap, "Hey! Titus, think. She's gonna know it was you."

"She'll think it was him. Skaikru weapon in the hands of a Skaikru thief. She might be angry enough to declare war!" Titus barks as he pulls the trigger, sending multiple bullets my way.

I manage to dodge a few but they keep coming. I do as much as I can to keep the bullets away, throwing chairs, rolling, hiding, but I'm unsure how much longer I can keep this up. I feel sweat dripping down my forehead, I feel a slight sting in my right shoulder that ultimately goes ignored, I need to focus on living.

Just as I think this, I hear the door open.

My eyes feel heavy and my body aches, I turn my head to see Lexa running at Titus with her dagger in hand.

Her eyes burn with hate and betrayal, I stand confused for a moment longer before the pain in my shoulder intensifies.