Chapter 8

I head back over to my room thinking through all the events that just happened, wondering what was to come of the newly declared war on Azgeda.

Something of this nature is expected of Nia, I don't think anything of it but Skaikru could be next and I'm worried.
If they keep this up, the other clans could very well reject our position in the alliance.

I begin worrying they may need me back in Arkadia but my thoughts are interrupted by a guards knock at my door telling me Lexa requests my presence at dinner tonight.

Assuming it was a dinner for all the clan ambassadors I agreed to go as if it was more of a question then anything. The guard was surprised by my slight show of defiance but nodded and left anyway.

Beginning to undress out of the clothes I had worn to the summit I walked over to the wardrobe Lexa had the guards bring in for me. I picked out a top made of some thin kind of fur as well as some fitted dark brown pants made of leather and my black boots to go with it.

Walking over to a mirror I picked up a bowl of water and a cloth and began wiping off my war paint from earlier, looking in the mirror I realized I was worrying a bit too much about the way I looked which isn't surprising but different than normal.

After I completely removed my paint I reached for the braids on my head and neatly undid them brushing my fingers through them as they came undone. Undoing the last braid I decided to leave my hair down falling just under my shoulders.

Finally, I left my room not even checking for the guards that I knew would follow behind me anyways.

We made our way to the dining room and my guards opened the door for me to see Lexa pacing back and forth around the room.

Before I went any further I noticed there are only two table settings with enough food for what looks like twenty guards.

"Is everything okay, Lexa? Where did the clan ambassadors go?"

"I sent them home, there wasn't a reason for them to be here anymore. The summit finished, Skaikru is now the 13th clan and your people are safe now."

"Oh alright, but who are we waiting on?" I ask gesturing towards the small mountains of food on the table.

"It is just us Clarke, how can you wait on someone? I don't wait on anyone and neither should you. But the food is mainly for you since I don't know what you like."

"Not exactly what I meant I'll explain later but thanks anyways. Also you didn't have to go to all that trouble, I would've loved anything but I really appreciate it Lexa."

Waiting on her reply, I look up from the pattern on the floor I was staring at and see a smile start to form on her face barely noticing the slight warmth on my cheeks.

After a slight pause she says she already has a plan in mind but it will be discussed later.

She takes her place at the head of the table and I next to her, she picks up a piece of meat from the small mountains of food and I follow, grabbing various vegetables and things I can't recognize to show that I appreciate the trouble she went through for me.

Water is already poured out in cups for us and I take a sip, pausing a brief moment as I feel the cold liquid travel down my throat. Realizing I'd Forgotten to drink or eat anything in the past few days because I'd been so busy. So this meal is very much appreciated, especially with Lexa here I enjoy her presence.

I set down the cup in my hand and catch Lexa starting at me out of the corner of my eye looking like she wants to say something.

She stays quiet anyways maybe in fear of ruining the comfortable silence between us.

I speak up thanking her for inviting me to dinner and await her answer.

She looks as though she's avoiding something but rather than speaking of it she tells me to let her know when I'd like to go back to Arkadia so she can arrange guards for me.

"Now what did you really want to say?"

She looks at me with almost a saddened look and I place my hand on top of hers and she relaxes slowly.

"I almost lost you Clarke, you were almost gone. You almost died."

She studies my eyes looking for a negative reaction but all I can think of is the feeling of my heart sinking in my chest at the thought of being without her longer then I already had been.

"I know Lex, but I'm here. You didn't lose me and I'm not leaving. If it's okay I'd like to stay in Polis longer to get to know the Clans Skaikru is allied with as well as spend some time closely working with the commander on the plans for the war against Azgeda."

Lexa looks back at me with an almost unreadable manner, I see her eyes glance at my lips and I place my hand at the side of her cheek and the other at her waist pulling her in towards me and I feel my lips melt against hers.

Reluctantly pulling away I rest my forehead against hers and question if that means I can stay in Polis longer.

She just smirks and nuzzles her head in my neck pulling me in for a hug.