You look like your mother

***********************************************************************************************

Dinner was over, thank God. It wasn't bad, just all those people around me were boring. After my last sip of Rose, I left. The night was warm, which was very rare for England, and the stars were shining so bright.

Grandmother: You know, when I first saw you, I saw your mother. And these stars are like her eyes and yours too. You look like your mother.

Me: Tell me something about her, lady grandmother. I always thought Hristina was my mother, but now, when I see you and Dimitar, I realize that I do not fit in with her.

Grandmother: Duchess of Bulgaria, Elizabeth of Bulgaria, also known as the last heir of Boris III of Bulgaria and ...

Me: And you?

Grandmother: Yes. And king Boris was a descendant of the last emperor and empress of Bulgaria.

Me: So, you were not born in Bulgaria?

Grandmother: No, I was a Hungarian duchess. I got my title when I married your grandfather.

Me: Tell me more about my mother.

Grandmother: She was very kind, warm-hearted, and always ready for a new adventure. She used to come here often. She loved England and English traditions, sometimes even more than her own country.

Me: She was trying to escape her duties as an heir to the throne?

Grandmother: No, as I said she was very adventurous. She was travelling all over Europe. She went to Italy, Spain, Greece, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, England, Croatia, Monaco, Hungary, and many others. But, when she married your father, Dimitar II of Ruse, she stopped travelling to establish her family. Bulgaria was already a republic so she didn't worry much about becoming a queen.

Me: She sounds brilliant. When am I going to meet her?

Grandmother: Indeed. I am afraid that is not possible. She died just a few hours after your brother was born. There were complications during pregnancy, but hopefully, your brother survived and Bulgaria had it's king once again. It was only a matter of time when countries are going to be monarchies once again. Only America's and Australia's countries are still republics and few in Europe.

Me: What about my father? And why can't I be a queen of Bulgaria? I am the oldest child of the king and queen of Bulgaria.

Grandmother: Your father is another story. You will hear of him a lot later, so I won't be talking about him right now. The problem is that when your mother was a child, her father ruled Bulgaria, but in the 90s Bulgaria became a republic and now, if the royal family wants to restore rule, they can only put first male heir on the throne.

Me: Why?

Grandmother: To each new heir has the same blood as the original rulers of the country.

Me: I see.

Grandmother: Go and rest. We only have thirty days to prepare you to become a queen. In just thirty days, you'll become a queen of Austria and get a brand new title.

Me: I don't think I am ready for that.

She grabbed my hand.

Grandmother: I know, I was scared when I married your grandfather. You just need to be strong. Your ladies are going to be with you on every step. And I am just one call away. Unlike the king's mother, her sister is very pleasant and friendly. I believe in you and Bulgaria need that as well as Austria. Bulgaria can get a new power and Austria will remain an independent country, but if not, Austria will fall for Germany and Germany will become the strongest empire in Europe.

Me: I will do my duty well. You won't be disappointed.

Grandmother: I was never disappointed in you.

—————————————

The next morning...

Queen Elizabeth II: Today, you will start learning royal manners and some tips for how to rule the country.

Another thirty days I need to learn as much as I can. I will be ready for what awaits me.

***********************************************************************************************