20 | On The Brink Of War

"Hey, any word from Jaha?" I asked Monty as I walked toward him in the hangar bay. "Did they find Bellamy's unit?"

He was carrying a bag of dried meat as he looked at me. "No."

I nodded. The boy gave me a sad smile before turning and walking away.

"Clarke!" I heard Harper shout. When I turned around, I saw a grounder carrying Octavia into the hangar bay, Harper right in front of them.

My eyes widened. "Octavia?"

I ran toward them, stopping beside the table they had cleared. Octavia was unconscious.

"There's a stab wound in her belly. She's soaked in blood," Harper explained.

"Okay, first things first," Clarke mumbled as she began doing chest compressions. "One, two three, four..."

I looked at the grounder; he couldn't have been much older than Octavia and Clarke. "Who are you? How did this happen to her?"

"Ilian kom Trishanakru," he answered. "I was on my way home from Polis when I found her."

I pursed my lips, holding my hand is very my mouth anxiously as Clarke pinched Octavia's nose and blew into her mouth. She listened for a breath, and when there wasn't one, she blew into the girl's mouth again. She repeated this until Octavia let out a weak cough. I let out a breath of relief.

"Okay, get her to medical, now," Clarke ordered. Monty ran to get a stretcher. Clarke looked at Ilian. "Getting her here saved her life. Thank you." Just then, Octavia began squirming. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, shh, it's okay. It's okay. You're okay. Octavia, you've lost a lot of blood. But you're home now. I'm gonna help you."

"Azgeda's coming," the girl whispered quietly, almost inaudible.

"What's she talking about?" Monty asked.

Clarke shook her head as Octavia spoke slightly louder this time. "Azgeda is coming. Army... Marching."

"Octavia," Clarke said as the girl slowly lost consciousness. "Hey, hey, hey, stay with me."

"War is here."

"Take her, go," Clarke ordered. Monty, Harper, and a man all carefully lowered Octavia onto the stretcher. "Start an I.V., blood, and fluids. And-- and get a suture kit ready." I helped carry Octavia to medbay. Clarke walked around the table and talked to Monty. "Hey, I have to do this, but get Kane on the radio. Find out exactly what's going on."

°°°

Niylah helped Clarke with Octavia. Clarke had told me that since I'm good with a gun, I should help the guard with Harper. I stood beside Harper my the door in the room we're in as Miller's dad explained our plan. "Okay. We station gunners along the wall. That way we can thin their numbers before they get a chance to close the distance."

"And when they get close?" Harper asked.

"Hydrazine. We buried what was left in the engines when we landed. It's being dug up right now. We're gonna pour it into the trenches."

My attention turned to Clarke as she walked into the room. "Hey, how is she?"

"Strong."

"Listen, all we have to do is spread it in front of the other wall. Then when the army gets close--"

"We light them up," Riley finished.

Miller's dad looked at him. "That's right."

"You want to light a fire outside the ship we just spent the last month getting ready?" Monty asked.