seventeen

1973 Italy, an unknown orphanage

A Japanese couple sat hand in hand on the lightly worn couch, happily waiting to meet what could be the newest addition to their family. The man had jet black hair which was professionally slicked back, gelled to make him look like the finest business leader, while the woman had beautiful sea green eyes and brown hair. They were definitely a beautiful pair, their biological daughter having to be super model worthy.

"See, we don't know exactly where Quinnzelle came from." The social worker explained, her auburn hair tied into a light bun as thick framed red glasses rested atop her pointed nose. Her fingers were tightly laced together, her nails painted a natural pink shade. Glancing to the young girl who motionlessly sat outside of the office, the woman let out a sad sigh. "She refuses to open up about anything. Despite being four she seems to have an extremely heavy backstory to be so discrete. Even after calling in various child therapists, she has never shown any change. Taking her in would be an extremely great thing to do, but it isn't going to be easy. Especially since shes from Italy and you are both Japanese based."

The older woman smiled, her eyes happily lighting up at the mention of the young girl by the name of Quinn. Her pearly white teeth almost glimmered in the light as she swooped a strand of loose brown hair behind her shoulder. "Well, I'm actually from Italy myself. I grew up in Venice, a beautiful place. I would never be able to forget the language of the place I love so much, so the country barrier will be no problem."

"I do not mean to be rude, but how will you even get her to speak? Quinnzelle has never spoken a word since we found her on the streets." The social worker questioned, glancing sadly at the file which resided next to her atop the mahogany desk. Her light green eyes filled with conflicted emotions as she thought of how little anyone truly knew of the girl. "It's almost as if she is unable to feel. This will be extremely challenging for you two and Quinnzelle. The adoption process can make her trauma even more severe."

The man with the thick black hair simply smiled. His eyes slightly crinkled as his cheeks lifted, a joyful essence spreading through his soul. "I was adopted as a boy. I am not a biological Shiobana at all. But, I do know how it feels for a child to be isolated from the feeling of a real family." Reassuringly placing his hands on the desk, he directed his eyes towards where the young girl sat outside. "Besides, I don't think she's emotionless at all. Maybe she just needs someone to bring the best out of her. After all, we don't know where she came from or what her life was before all of this. Her actions could have reasoning, so my wife and I will find that reasoning and embrace it for her."

The social worker's eyes softened at the couple, her heart clenching at how determined the two adults were to better the four year old's life. She was given hope for the girl, hoping just maybe to see her smile for the first time.

Sucking in a long breath, the woman composed herself. A small smile adorned her Italian features as she clutched the manila file in her hands. "Alright Miss and Mister Shiobana, I will get the paperwork started for you. Thank you for taking a chance on our Quinnzelle, we love her more than she'll ever know."