Nervous Beginnings.

"My advice for young people is, study what you love and intern in what you want to do. And I think it's okay to pivot as many times as you need to."
Eva Chen, director of fashion, Instagram

On my first day at work, I was like fish out of water. While everybody seems to be doing something important; there I sat , twirling my pen ,looking left, right , centre and hoping for the orientation to begin. I wanted to prove myself, I didn't make all that effort to get through the interview and all to sit here idle. I am ready to learn, teach me. I want to be useful!

'You want to learn? Lily my inner diva asked. Sure, I replied. And what a teaching I got.

When the orientation started, I started to get a bit dizzy. All the terminologies flew over my head and left me dazzled. I wrote down as much as I could but it was Greek to me. However, after a few hours of it, I seemed to find insight and my heart calmed it's galloping pace. It was still unclear but I knew I only have to ask to be told .

Everyone was considerate and I got treated well. I couldn't place names with faces because they were all moving and quite busy. The software was easy to understand and I also had my immediate supervisor on speed dial. She was that accommodating. So it wasn't as frightening as I thought it will be. I even had my first call and it went great.

If there was any lesson I got from my orientation it was this:

"You must always learn to hold your own and be diplomatic about what you says."

There is so much to learn and I can't wait to continue. May it be a most successful career.