Chapter Three - Grandma

My heart was heavy as I lit a candle on my desk, today was Dad's seven year death anniversary and it had become a tradition for me to light a candle for him every year.

Life after him wasn't the same, his death turned my world upside down and he took all the beautiful colors with him and made my life bleak, boring and if I could describe the color of life, it would be a dull diluted grey.

"It's been another year without you Dad" I watched the candle burn quietly, only stopping when I heard the phone start ringing.

'Hm, I wonder who that could be'

Right as I was getting ready to look, I was interrupted by Mom yelling downstairs, "Who's calling?!" I huffed 'Well now I don't want to check it' but I knew that if I didn't, she would constantly bring it up today, no doubt aggravated that I didn't look.

And I'd rather not get her annoyed, well, at least not yet anyway.

I walked over to my nightstand to check the caller ID only to stare at it with my mouth slightly agape in shock 'I wonder why she's calling' I quickly snapped out of it when I heard Mom ask who it was again, well, more like yell.

'She isn't going to like this'

"It's Grandma!" I yelled back. It was quiet for a moment as I looked at the phone; staring at it with great temptation as I bit my lip, "Can I answer it?!" I grimaced when her response was immediate, "No! You know that I don't want you talking to her!" I groaned when I heard the clear aggravation and sternness in her tone.

Darn, not getting her annoyed already failed.

I huffed and sat on my bed 'I just want to talk to her about Dad' I leaned back and stared up at my ceiling 'Why does she hate her so mu-?' my thought was cut off by the phone ringing again.

"Mom, Grandma's calling again!" I yelled; staring at the home phone, desperately wanting to answer it but I knew that Mom would have my head if I did 'I still want to know why I'm not allowed talk to her, ever since Dad died she's never been the same, she's become more harsher and even cut off Grandma completely' I tensed up when I heard her stomps echo through the hallway, getting closer and closer to my room and soon she appeared in my doorway with a scowl etched on her face.

Although that's pretty much the norm with her.

"Again?! When will that old hag leave us alone? Just ignore her, she's crazy" she snapped with an eye roll and I barely held back a flinch at her tone, "Okay, but...what exactly did she do?" I was reluctant in asking but I wanted, needed. to know what she did that was so bad that I couldn't even talk to her on the phone. I've tried asking her before but she always ignored the question.

She huffed and crossed her arms at my question, finally facing me and giving me her full attention, "More like what didn't she do, she always tried to take you away from me and your father, saying that she was 'the better guardian' for you, even going as far as to call cps on us for outrageous accusations, saying how you needed some sort of 'help' for having an imaginary friend" she ranted with a scoff and I was sure that if it was possible steam would've been coming out of her ears.

'I wouldn't be surprised if she could do that with sheer anger'

I could feel my expression morph into one of confusion at what she was telling me 'She tried to take me away when I was a kid just for having an imaginary friend? But that doesn't make any sense' I looked down at the phone, my lips tugged down into a frown as I pressed the decline button on the phone.