Chapter Twelve - Regret

*The next day*

I stared at my door with a glare 'It's taunting me' I was starving and desperately wanted breakfast but I was too stubborn to give in 'I hate hunger pains' the smell of Mom cooking didn't help either 'She's doing this on purpose' I tapped my fingers on my desk; weighing in my options.

'I could go downstairs and eat but that means I  would have to talk to her OR I could stay in here and starve while ignoring her...hmmm bacon' my fingers stopped tapping and I huffed, walking to my door with my head hung low with defeat.

'Round one, Mom - 1 Maria - 0' I quietly opened my door and took slow cautionary steps down the stairs and look around; suspicious that she'll pop out of nowhere and demand to talk.

'So far so good'

As I slowly walked downstairs the smell of food got stronger, making my belly rumble loudly 'I wouldn't be surprised if she could track me down with how loud that growl was' a few seconds later, low and behold, Mom's head pops up around the corner and I stopped dead in my tracks.

'I was joking!'

I stared at her with disbelief as she looked back at me with a smug smile and her eyes were slightly squinted with a look of victory in them 'It's not too late to turn around...' honestly I was tempted to but my stomach was not.

"I knew that you couldn't resist bacon, it was always your weakness" she said smugly with her arms crossed and I couldn't even argue with that 'It always was and always will be my weakness' I chose to ignore her and walked in the kitchen to get food.

"So the silent treatment huh?" She asked rhetorically and I just shrugged and sat at the table to eat "So I was thinking" She began slowly; looking down at her hands "I know that you love your dad, believe me I get it, but I only forbade you from seeing him for you're own safety" she paused to take in a slow deep breath.

"And that's why I want to take that back, just please, when you want to see him, tell me and I'll go with you" her tone held genuine remorse as she fiddled with her hands, her eyes glanced at me every now and then to see my reaction.

And me? I was frozen with my fork still in my mouth and slowly turned to look at her with both brows raised 'Is she serious?' she looked close to tears "Look I know I'm not the best Mother, I know that, but I want to try and get closer to you, it will take some time I'm sure but-" I cut her off when I stood up abruptly, making my chair make an awful screech as it slid on the floor.

"I don't want to talk about this right now" I muttered as I walked upstairs to my room, I was nearly on the first step when I felt her grab my shoulder to get my attention and stop me, I turned around to tell her to leave me alone for awhile before talking again when I saw...no one there.

This was way too familiar.

I stood there with my mouth agape and looked around to see if she was messing with me while dread rose in me at what the other possibility could be 'Please no, not again' I immediately ran back up the stairs to the solitude of my room once again and as I did I could hear the familiar sound of keys jingling and the front door opening, insinuating that Mom was leaving.

'At least if the monster really is here then that means Mom should be okay'

When I grabbed my door knob I let out a small shriek 'Why is it so hot?!' I could've sworn that my hand sizzled when it came into contact with the knob.

I instinctively pulled my hand back with a hiss and looked at my door knob with wide eyes 'I have to get out of here' before I could run downstairs I noticed that the hot handle was slowly turning an angry bright red 'It's getting hotter' I could feel the heat radiating off the poor door knob where I was standing.

There was no way that I was staying here any longer.

I ran back downstairs and went straight to the front door; rushing to unlock it "Come on, come on" when I finally got the door open I stumbled as I ran out from practically throwing myself out of the house.

I don't know how long I ran but all I knew was that I couldn't get far enough and that I was beginning to tread in unknown territory. buildings were looking more and more unfamiliar and it felt like danger was at every corner 'I should've just ran to a store' I leaned back against a brick building to catch my breath and to allow my side to stop hurting.

'What was it's goal with the door knob?' My hand was still burning 'It felt like I touched pure lava' I was sure that it was going to blister and possibly even scar over when it healed.

While resting, my mind kept going back to Mom, regret tearing at my heart 'Maybe I should have let her talk? Did I walk away from the chance to actually bond with her?' I deeply regretted getting upset at her and feel guilt well up in me.

I looked up at the cloudy and gray sky and felt raindrops drizzle down and contemplate about going back home, I was reluctant in going home 'What If the Monster is still there? What if Mom's not even there yet what if- ' I nearly screamed when a thought hit me harder then the rest 'What If she's home alone with the Monster?!' My chest felt heavy with emotions, namely panic.

And with that thought my decision was made.

I sprinted back home in what was probably only twenty minutes and when I see the house in the short distance I feel fear clawing at me when I saw Mom's car parked in the driveway, letting me know that she was home.

I hated myself in that moment, feeling like it was my fault that she was in danger.

I decided to just not think about it anymore and braced myself for whatever may happen as I walked through the door with my head held up high; trying to hide my fear with a steely expression.

"Mom? Are you home?" I called out as I cautiously walked in, keeping the door open just in case we need to make a quick exit. The house was silent until I heard the squeaking of the stairs making me gulp and look up and feel a weight lift off my chest when I see Mom looking at me expectingly, making me feel a mix of nervousness and relief.

She was alive, the monster didn't get her.

I could tell that she was upset when I saw her face but her eyes told me a different story, they looked 'Concerned, scared and hurt' I gulped, unsure of what emotion that I would be getting 'Hopefully concerned' she stopped midway down the stairs and crossed her arms.

Uh oh.

I bit the inside of my cheek 'That's not a good sign' I braced myself for whatever she was going to say when I saw her eyes start tearing up "I was worried sick, you can't just leave like that after what happened yesterday" Her words felt like an uppercut as guilt ate at me and I couldn't make myself look away from her.

"I know, I'm sorry Mom, but I'm ready to talk now" my voice came out stronger then I thought it would, although a tad bit shaky, she nodded her head, looking relived.

"Good, I'm glad, let's talk in the living room"