Chapter 14 : The Zoo

"People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel." - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Chapter painting: "Allegro Strepitoso" by Carel Weight.

***

After stepping foot outside, we were greeted anew by the burning sun rays, perfect for the occasion and a pre-summer tan as a bonus for those who weren't fully dressed like we were. Following its path, the Tiber's flow brought the city to life in an effortless and majestic way, and the symbolic stone pines graced the sidewalks with their unique umbrella shape. Jamie's conscious remained in the museum, however, as his mind was still clouded and preoccupied with everything we've encountered inside. He's more of an over-thinker than I was initially led to believe but who am I to judge him out of all people. Must have been quite the experience, an artist himself, to have been exposed to so many brilliant and bizarre ideas expressed various shapes and sizes, all packed in one place.

"Sorry, I'm still a bit overwhelmed from the museum. The paintings left a huge mark on me, especially the grave one. Do you know that feeling when you finish reading an incredible book, or watching an outstanding movie? It moves you so deeply, you can't stop reflecting on it." - he explained enthusiastically, and I nodded in agreement. "Also, I promise I'll do my best to stay focused, it's the very least I could do for the time and effort you've spared into making this short visit an absolute blast. By the way, do consider studying tourism in case sociology doesn't work out. Just saying." - he smirked.

Oh, I'm fully aware of that feeling O'Dea. I didn't mind the silence, really. It was the time limit combined with the pressure of leaving a great impression on him that bothered me most. In fact, I wouldn't mind walking besides him for hours without saying a word, but since our encounters tend to happen on a yearly basis, I'd rather speak up instead and milk every second for its worth. After a good twenty minute walk, I caught a glimpse of a place Leo wanted to show me for a long time now but never had the chance to. A famous zoo, designed to make the animals as comfortable as possible, all while attempting to make the cages authentic to their preferred natural settings. He claimed it was the ideal place for animal lovers like myself, and since his parents worked there as vets, he had access to it even after closing hours. I'm not sure if it's Jamie's cup of tea though...and I did kind of promise Leo I'd go with him.

"Look over there, a zoo! I haven't been to one in ages. Wanna check it out?" - the adult twelve-year-old boy asked. Just my luck, great. I turned my phone on, checking the time, hoping it would be closed by now. Before I could convince him to go elsewhere, he jogged towards the entrance to ask the security guard about the closing hours, gesturing me to come over once he received a positive answer.

"Jamie, we don't have..." – but he ran over to my side and grabbed me by the hand, forcing me to the entrance. Feeling his warm and gentle touch again (firm and sweaty grip but who cares) made my brain evaporate. What was the problem again? Never mind.

Although the entrance fees were overpriced, I was blown away by the well-deserved attention and care the animals were treated with. Cages were blocked so visitors couldn't disturb or feed them, with each containing sets of speakers playing wildlife sounds alongside grass patches, trees, sand, or ponds depending on the species. With these ideal conditions, they could easily host animals from all corners of the world, from penguins, bears, hyenas, to crocodiles, pandas, and kangaroos. That explained the ticket price, I suppose, and why Leo's family was rolling in money.

But still, a zoo is far from a natural habitat. A cage is a cage, and I felt remorse every time I would visit one. They spent most, if not their entire lives, trapped behind bars, unaware of how vast and dynamic life could've been had they not been captured or born there. Spending years in one small area, walking around aimlessly, waiting for lunch time. Their only purpose was to be observed by us filthy humans for the sake of their short-lived entertainment. We move on with our lives, but the animals stay there indefinitely in most cases.