Chapter 16 : Patience is a Virtue

"Be worthy of love, and love will come." - Louisa May Alcott, from Little Women.

Chapter painting: "Colorful Ferris Wheel Sunset" by Dan Sproul.

***

"I have another place in mind, hopefully it's still open. Children usually hang out there, so I believe it's perfect for your mental age." - I teased Jamie and after an entire day of doing so, he didn't even bother responding to my jokes anymore. If this dude can write two albums and a book of poems, anyone can. At this point, he seemed comfortable following me around these crazy fun-packed locations, no questions asked.

Strolling around a treeless park where people would gather for picnics during daylight and stargazing at night, I was hoping we would see multicolored lights and hear the high-pitched sounds of children shouting at the end of the path. Halfway there, we stopped in front of a duo singing Amy Winehouse's Valerie with an acoustic guitar and drums, fitting for the relaxing and romantic atmosphere. Jamie listened attentively to every string being pulled, accompanied by their complementing voices. They appeared to be fraternal twins, sharing similar facial features, darker skin tone and black curly hair. I always wondered what the different stories behind these amateur artists were, how they came to be, and what would become of them. Will they be as lucky as the Midnight Blues, I wonder?

"And I've missed your ginger hair, and the way you like to dress..." - I mumbled to myself quietly as the chorus drew near. Although I've been listening to this masterpiece for years now, never before did it strike my heart on such a personal level. A simple line I would chant while showering or walking down the street just gained an entirely new meaning. Great, now I can't even listen to my favorite songs without associating the lyrics to him! Oh Amy, why did you have to leave us so soon? There's no price I wouldn't pay to experience her live performance. Listening to her records was one of the rare instances when my mother and I would get along well, setting our differences and temperament aside.

Before I could get emotional, the duo's marvelous cover came to an end and in return we gave them a cheerful applause and some spare change, but their fellow musician wasn't quite ready to leave yet. Instead, he approached the brother, asking if he could borrow his guitar to sing a special song. To my surprise, the brother stood up delighted, lending him his chair and instrument. O'Dea whispered the song's name to both of them, and they seemed quite thrilled by his choice.

"Three...two...one..." - he murmured, before playing the chords to the gentle intro. The tune was so familiar, a song I haven't heard in years but knew by heart before.

"And you only need the light when it's burning low, only miss the sun when it starts to snow..." - her velvet voice music to my ears, performing Passenger's Let Her Go. You have good taste, O'Dea.

"...only know you love her when you let her go." Hearing him singing again sent me to seventh heaven. A larger crowd gathered now in a circle, chanting along. Watching Jamie doing what he was best at, making people come together and filling their hearts with joy, made me appreciate his existence in my life. As much as I loved teasing him for his stupidity most of the times, he truly had a talent for music and deserved all the recognition. He moved his eyes from the guitar onto mine, giving me the same smile he always did while performing, the smile of genuine happiness and fulfillment. No one deserved him. Not Valentina, not me, no one. A precious gem lost in his own world.

The unexpected trio synchronized their voices in harmony with such ease, almost like they've been taking part in a choir together for years. He responded to the audience's innumerous claps with a gentleman's bow, shaking hands with the siblings and passing the fedora around. It was soon filled up to the top with change and bills, which he proudly returned to the twins.