4

Tony's POV

I couldn't sit still for what felt like hours. I was up and down. Walking into the kitchen for coffee. Going to the toilet. Sitting back on the couch. Getting back up. Walking to the kitchen for nothing. Coming back and sitting on the couch. I was very restless.

"Tony, sit down." Steve said. His hand over his face.

"Why?" I asked. Steve groaned and grabbed my hand as I went to stand up again. He pulled me back onto the couch and panic spread over my body. "Let go. Let go. Let go!" I yelled, scared.

"Tony?" He asked. He let got of me, but I could still feel him on me. I curled over. "Tony, whats wrong?" He asked. He started to stroke my hair. My breathing was eratic and it hurt my chest. Calming down wasn't very easy. 

"I'm okay." I lied. He bought it though. He sighed.

"The swimming baths..." He mumbled. I stood up and walked out of the room. 

"Steve was going to hurt me. Steve was gonna hurt me. Steve was going to hurt me..." I repeated many times as I paced around. I was in my bedroom. He probably didn't want to hurt me but it just felt like he did at the time.

Steve's POV

Tony had left the room. I felt bad. He felt unsafe and it was my fault. He left the room, going upstairs, but I could still hear him.

"Steve was going to hurt me" He said. He said it so many times, it began to hurt. My heart ached. I would never have hurt him. I just wanted him to sit down and calm down. He eventually stopped speaking, so I went up to him.

"Tony... I'm going to go home." I told him.

"You are home."

"No. I meant... I'm going home to see my parents."

"Can I come?" He asked. He looked at me like a lost puppy. I shook my head.

"No, Tony. I need to be alone. I need to figure some things out." He was tearing up. 

"You're breaking up with me?" He asked.

"I didn't say that, did I?" I said. He looked away.

"I guess not. What do I do while you're gone?" I shrugged.

"Make sure you remember to eat, bathe, sleep. Other than that... It's your choice. Why don't you invite Rhodey down? It's been a while since you spoke to him." He went into the bathroom when I said that. He locked the door and I felt really guilty. "I'll only be gone for a few days. At most a week baby. You can look after yourself for that long."

"I know. Just go" Tony said. He sounded alright, but I could tell he was either about to cry or he already was. The man is a puzzle. It starts off basic and then gets more complicated over time. 

I went to pack a duffle bag. I didn't want to go home. It wouldn't be good for me, but I was going to anyway.  I just hoped that Tony would be okay.