Chapter 2: Preparation

(Normal pov)

Valka Haddock was tending to her grandchildren, helping them get dressed, and now leading them to the dining room to have their morning meal. Rebecca and Gideon were wonderful children, they have been well trained in preparation to become the rulers of Arendelle, to fight for their home against any enemy who would dare attack them, and bonding with their own dragons. The elder Haddock led her grandchildren into the dining room while holding both children's hands, she adored them both so much and knew that they'd grow up to become fine rulers of Arendelle and protectors of this kingdom.

The elder Haddock smiled at the sight of her grandchildren admiring the sight of their breakfast that the servants had just now placed before them, the children thanked their loyal servants and began eating while Valka too began to partake in her morning meal. Blowing a strand of auburn hair out of her face, Rebecca swallowed the food in her mouth and looked to her grandmother and cocked as she then inquired. "Grandmother, when will our father return home?" Gideon hummed in agreement and spoke up. "He's been away for three months," He then looked fearful, "do you... do you think he's dead?"

"I'm not dead yet my boy!"

The three Haddock's seated at the dining table all gasped in shock and joy at the sight of Hiccup together with Elsa and Anna by his side. Crying out in happiness, Rebecca and Gideon got out of their seats and raced into Hiccup's open arms and embraced his children. "Oh, my beautiful children," He cooed out, "seeing you makes my day all brighter." Giggling at Hiccup's words, the twin children expressed how they missed their father during his absence and they kissed Hiccup's cheeks and hugged with all the strength they possessed. Seeing their children showering Hiccup with such love and affection caused Elsa and Anna's hearts to melt, Valka too smiled warmly at the sight of her only son embracing his own children, and part of Valka was in disbelief at how fast time had gone when Hiccup had announced to Arendelle that both Elsa and Anna were both pregnant and then they announced the birth of Rebecca and Gideon, causing all of Arendelle to celebrate the births of their future rulers.

Finally breaking away from their father, Rebecca and Gideon turned to Valka and giggled. "Grandmother missed you too!" Gideon said while giving Hiccup a grin, causing Arendelle's king to raise an eyebrow at his son. "Is that so?" The young boy hummed in confirmation. "Despite the horrible things we've heard, how you may have died in battle, Grandmother never believed that you were dead," Gideon then crossed his little arms across his chest and smiled, "she said you'd return home and that we'd be a family again!"

"It would appear that way son," Hiccup said while ruffling Gideon's platinum blond hair, causing the boy to giggle, "were you two good in my absence? You didn't give your mothers or grandmother trouble did you?"

"No!"

"Of course not!"

Both Gideon and Rebecca said in unison, causing Valka to laugh lightly and approached her son. "They're always good to have around," She then placed a hand on Hiccup's cheek, "they take after you and your wives in so many ways." Hiccup closed his eyes as he nuzzled into his mother's touch and gave her a warm smile. "They're going to be great rulers one day," Hiccup then grabbed Valka's hips and pulled her into a warm, loving hug, "they have not only their parents but you to make them great." Hiccup then murmured how much he missed her, causing Valka to return her son's embrace murmur the same sentiments. Breaking their embrace, Hiccup turned to Elsa and Anna who were both smiling at just how loving and affectionate he is towards their family, one of the many traits they love about him.

The royals then sat at the table to eat together as a family once more, and it was the little things like this that made Hiccup so grateful to be back home and with the ones he loved more than any other. Hearing the laughter coming out of their mouths, seeing the happiness etched in their faces, and love they held for him in their eyes caused a beaming smile to break out across Hiccup's face.