Chapter 17: Returned

A/N: Some smutty goodness in this chapter and then the war will commence next, I'm so hyped to write this final battle between these two forces. Now, relax and enjoy the chapter.

(Normal pov— Kingdom of Arendelle)

"With the Vikings now on the march, while on their way towards Mercia, then that land is now Danelaw, their numbers will only swell," Queen Anna announced to the countless rulers of each of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, as well as their Frankish allies, "we must march out and meet our enemy on the field of battle."

"I have spies within Danelaw, they have confirmed that the heathen army grows ever closer to our front door," Lord Alwin of Mercia said, he was Anna's age and was known to behave as if he were still sucking his mother's breasts, "I have issued an order for my men at the frontier to retreat and regroup with our combined armies here." The arrogant ruler of Mercia eyed Anna and then inquired. "Where and when do we all make a stand against our enemy? Where and when will we be joined by the Romans your sisters promised they'd gather?"

"That is to be decided—"

"I would like to know," Alwin cut Anna off, "because right now all of England is in chaos and doubt if your sister do not return with the Roman legions, our combined numbers would still not be enough to defeat the Vikings." Looking to the gathered rulers of both England and Paris, Alwin spoke up. "Does each man here truly stand with the Haddock's?"

"We do. Of course, we do!" Count Clovis said firmly.

"As do we!" King Edward of Wessex boomed out, every ruler present confirmed that they stand with Arendelle and the Haddock's, but Alwin continued to spew out doubts. "And of those who are absent?" He challenged. "Those who have hurried back to their halls, despite there must be the talk of war--"

"They are with us, Lord Alwin!" Anna said firmly, trying to reassure the young Merican ruler that all of England is with them, but still Alwin tried rattling the English rulers' hopes. "I'm told Wessex will not have great numbers to support us," turning to King Edward, Alwin raised an eyebrow in question and inquired, "is that not the case King Edward?"

"I scrounged up what men I have at my disposal Lord Alwin," Edward reassured, "if you believe I do not wish to fight, worry not. My father King Alfred the Great dreamed that all of England coming together as one and become one nation! I will honor my father's dream and ensure that this battle will be the last one our nation has to fight."

"Mercia does have a sizeable force, but if this battle does not turn out in our favor, then the Vikings will take my kingdom—"

"It is the same for all of us," Anna reassured while also sensing cowardice and... perhaps betrayal from the young ruler of Mercia, "rest assured, we shall be marching and we shall be marching to fight Lord Alwin—"

"Lord King!"

Alwin snarled out at Anna, but before Anna could shut the pompous ruler of Merica up, another voice spoke up and rebuked Alwin.

"Do not dare believe there's another option Alwin," Queen Elsa boomed out in a firm yet disgusted tone, "everyone in Englan knows that you're a lazy and pathetic boy who believes himself a man! If you believe you can make peace with the Vikings to preserve your kingdom, I suggest you expel such thoughts from your head! The Vikings are people without honor. They will take your land, your silver, and the tin crown from your head." Everyone gathered all hummed in agreement at Elsa's words, and they successfully silenced Alwin.

Anna smiled at Elsa and Sophia, she made her way over towards her two older sisters and embraced them. Anna then allowed Elsa to address their gathered allies, which she did. "All of you hear me. Yes, it is likely that the Vikings will indeed have greater numbers, but this is a war that we can win, that we must win! Though it will take all of us, every man, every sword, and all the guile and wit that my husband Hiccup has instilled," Elsa then gestured outside the palace and continued, "my sister Sophia and I have just returned from Rome, the Pope and Emperor Tiberious have provided us with the Roman legions! And with their numbers, we may yet prevail in the final war between Christianity and paganism!"