Chapter 5: Uniting

(Normal pov— Kingdom of Deheubarth, Wales)

Queen Freydis and her seer Gudrun laid eyes on a massive force marching towards their position, though it wasn't a Saxon or Wales force, rather it was a combined force of Vikings and Dragon Hunters. Freydis was expecting these combined forces to come here, the visions that Gudrun received had foretold their forces uniting to crush the Saxon kingdoms and make Hiccup Haddock suffer for betraying his Viking heritage and people.

The warriors of Fenrisúlfr had weapons in hand and readied themselves in case their potential allies tried to overthrow their queen from power. Freydis looked down upon the new arrivals of Vikings and Dragon Hunters and boomed out. "I am Queen Freydis, leader of Fenrisúlfr," she then inquired, "who stands as your leader?" A man with long, brunette hair stepped forward and smiled at Freydis. "I am King Torsten, leader of the Branded Brutes," he then nods firmly, "I stand as the leader of this combined force of Vikings and Dragon Hunters." Nodding in acknowledgment, Freydis spoke up. "We have been expecting you, King Torsten," Freydis looked down to her guards and ordered them to open the gates of the Deheubarth fortress, "you must be tired after your long journey, come, we have food, ale, and warmth that await you."

Torsten bowed his head in thanks and ordered all the warriors and Dragon Hunters of their combined forces to set up camp and merge with the warriors of Fenrisúlfr, while Torsten himself and the hierarchy of their forces entered the fortress.

Freydis watches as her guards escort her guests within the fortress to rest and gather their strength after the journey they endured to get here. Gudrun notes of the massive dragon just outside the camp and the swarms of dragons settling to rest as well. "Such a beautiful beast," Gudrun purred, "it will be a valuable weapon to wield against the Christians." Freydis turns to her sorceress and raises an eyebrow in question. "You have not seen Torsten or his allies betray us by wielding that monster against us?" Gudrun turns back to her queen and gives her a reassuring smile. "I have not Queen Freydis," the sorceress continues, "we stand as the last Vikings, I doubt Torsten would be a fool and betray us. But if he does? He will know suffering and torture beyond imagination."

"Good," Freydis said firmly before looking back down on the camp of warriors beneath them, "we are fighting for our future and it is a future that I long for! If we are to achieve that future, we cannot fail in our task." Sighing heavily, Freydis looked towards the horizon and breathed in the cold air before exhaling, "these lands will be a place for our people to begin anew, the next generation of warriors, heroes, and legends who serve Odin and the Æsir will be brought up if we are successful."

"And we will be," Gudrun reassured, "we have an army large enough to rival six Saxon kingdoms! And with Torsten and his forces? We outnumber the Christians. The gods have shown me our victory," the sorceress chuckled darkly and continued, "and the death of Hiccup Haddock III. We will not fail." Freydis nodded at her sorceress, knowing what she saw was the truth and that they would claim England and begin anew, but also kill Hiccup Haddock. The Danish queen then gestured to the fortress with her head.

"Come," Freydis said, "let us head inside and speak with our guests."

(Sometime later)

After having time to rest, eat food, and drink ale, Freydis summoned her guests to a chamber that served as a library for the former ruler of Deheubarth. Once everybody was gathered, Freydis once welcomed her guests and they all gathered around a huge table that held a map of England itself and every kingdom that stretched beyond Deheubarth.

"We must decide what to do first my friends," Freydis said firmly, "our army rivals any force our people have brought to these shores, and we must use this army well! With winter just days away, I believe we should strip the Saxons of their food stores and take it for ourselves." Murmurs of agreement filled Freydis's ears.