Chapter 28

As Selene and Iorveth neared Kaer Morhens school they saw a woman waiting for them at the gates. She had long flowing red hair, that waved around her body, stopping at her hips, her skin was tan like the sun had kissed her. Her eyes an endless pool of sea green, she was petite by nature, yet she had lithe muscle, her slender form was easily see and the only mark upon her skin was three long claw marks on her neck. "Kiari." Said woman smiled before she spoke, her voice like music. "Selene, Iorveth. I've decided to wait with you."
     Selene raised an eyebrow but soon nodded. "That's fine, better to travel in a group then travel alone." "That is correct. Any idea where I can stay until we leave?" Selene nodded and waved at Vesemir who nodded, he had also met Kiari once under the most unusual circumstances. She was swimming in the lake and he had thought she was in trouble so he dove in to help her, only to realize she was a siren. Yet she meant them no harm.
     Selene kissed Iorveth's cheek before hanging him his bow and walking away Kiari right behind her. "I see you and Selene are doing alright." Iorveth looked at Vesemir and nodded. "Yes, I'm a bit worried though, she restored the Bastion." Vesemir blinked before he groaned. "Damn it. You don't think she over did it do you?" "She didn't seem like she did, but she's good at hiding her exhaustion from me." Vesemir frowned before he sighed. It was true, Selene would always push her limits only to create new limits. "I swear, that girl is going to be the death of us."
      Iorveth chuckled. "Death should piss off I refuse to let her wonder this world alone." Vesemir chuckled. "I know. If you're wondering about food, there's some in the kitchen so you can make her something to eat." "Thank you." And with that he went inside. Selene was upstairs with Kiari and leaning against a wall as she watched her friend settle in. "Thank you Selene." "Not a problem, after all friends look out for each other." Kiari looked at her and nodded. "Yes, thats true. I've always wondered, why have you never killed me?"
      Selene raised an eyebrow. "Why should I? You've done nothing wrong, you're able to think and speak, change forms. You're not like the other sirens I've faced." Kiari slowly nodded. "I don't know how I managed to keep my humanity." Selene shrugged. "I guess you just did. You wanted to live among humans so you willed yourself to stay true to you." Kiari smiled at the explanation. "Perhaps you're right. Anyway I'm gonna take a nap. I'll see you around." Selene nodded and left the room, her long hair swaying behind her.
       As she finally exited the tower and entered the main part of the building did she see Iorveth leaning against a wall near a table. "Sele." Selene raised an eyebrow and walked over to him. "Yeah Iorveth?" He motioned towards the food. "Here, sit down and eats. It's fish and rice." Selene smiled as she kissed his cheek. "Thank you, I forgot all about eating." He rolled his eyes but ran his fingers through her hair. "Idiot. What would you do if I wasn't here to remind you hm?" Selene shrugged. "Probably die." His eyes widened and his hands twitched like he was gonna shake her.
       "No. That isn't even an option. I'm telling your unit to make sure you eat from now on as well." Selene blinked. "Ve, did you forget I sent them to retrieve Roche?" Iorveth blinked at the sudden nickname. "Ve?" She nodded. "Yep, you can call me Sele, so I'm gonna call you Ve." Iorveth blinked before he chuckled. "Very well. And no, I didn't forget. As soon as they return I'll be informing them of your bad habit of forgetting meals." Selene rolled her eyes. "Me a'baethe aép arse Iorveth." Green eyes widened as he sat beside her and pinched her cheek. "Cheeky Vatt'ghern, a'baethe aép arse?" Selene laughed before she started to eat relaxing as he rubbed his hand up and down her back in a soothing manner.
        "So the old man didn't lie! Selene!" Selene looked up and looked to see who was yelling for her and she smiled as she saw Lambert. "Lambert." Said man walked over and sat down across from them as he shook Iorveth's hand. "I was coming to fix stuff, but when I got here I saw the repairs and then the Scoia'tael. That's when Vesemir said you were here." Selene nodded as she finished her food. "Yeah, took longer then i thought." He raised an eyebrow. "Iorveth? What is she talking about?" Iorveth looked at the woman beside him and raised an eyebrow. "She's saying she over did it the first day and slept for an entire week. I only to wake up, fix the ruined tower, and the Bastion."
      Lambert felt his eyes widen as he crossed his arms and glared at her. "Really? You really like over doing it don't you?" Selene rolled her eyes. "First off, I wasn't sure where the limit was. It's been awhile since i had to use so much of it. Two I wasn't expecting to pass out for a week. Three the tower would have killed Eskel, four I'm fine." And with that she stood up and walked off. Lambert blinked not having expected Selene to snap at them. "Oops?" Iorveth sighed and stood up. "Nah, you stay put I'll go talk to her."
     Iorveth raised an eyebrow. "Trust me, I don't think you wanna fight her. She's angry. No one trusts her to know her limits. It's been that way since the war. She used so much she actually almost died. We forget she's recovered, that she's surpassed limits. While she's rusty with it, she's still capable of using large amounts and not being drained. So it's more my fault then anyones." Iorveth was amazed at how he owned up to it. Even more so to hear she was still capable of using it. He watched as Lambert went after Selene and sighed before he went up to their room.
      Lambert soon found Selene in her garden tending to the roses. "Selene?" "What do you want?" Lambert sighed. "Fixed it up huh? Roses from Iorveth?" "Yes, to both. These are called the rose of remembrance. And trust me when I get my hands on Geralt he will pay for ruining my garden." Lambert shuddered as he knew she was serious. "I wanted to apologize. You forget though. We saw you almost die in that war. We saw you use so much power that we feared for the worse. Forgetting that it's been years and you've recovered somewhat if not completely. For us Selene it was horrifying, seeing you lay there unmoving."
      Selene sighed. "I know. I didn't forget. And yes it took time to recover. But I did. I'm tired of everyone thinking I'm gonna just do to much and die. I have a reason to keep living thank you kindly." He raised an eyebrow as he waited for her to continue. "I don't live because I have to. Because of I die time ends and the world does to. I live because I want to live. Because now I have Iorveth as well."