Chapter 5

"No, I refuse to help! You're asking way too much of me, and you're just a nut job. Find someone else if that's even possible."

That was the fourth rejection for Sakura. Finding an accompanist was a lot harder than she imagined. No money or charm she could muster would entice a pianist to help her with several difficult songs. Sakura didn't know which was harder for them; the songs or who they were playing for. It seems her reputation as a freakishly multi-instrumentalist jerk was spreading through the school quickly, giving her the nickname "Sakura of all trades." All just because she keeps asking around for an accompanist, something she needs desperately. If she didn't find someone by the end of October, she may have to opt out of the competition.

Sakura only had a few more people on her list for potential accompanists. Kousei Arima was the last one on her list. Sakura didn't want to bother him since he was famous and quite busy.

A week past and Sakura still got more rejections, despite how she raised the paying price. She could only imagine how an author felt when trying to publish a book, though she has gotten quite a taste of what that is like. Was she discouraged? A little. But she was determined to enter the competition and go all the way to nationals and win. She would prove to the world that with enough hard work, no one is enslaved to a single instrument.

Looking at her "Liszt" of possible accompanists, the last one at the bottom not crossed out was Kousei Arima. "If he doesn't say yes, I'm going to have to look outside the school for someone," Sakura said to herself. "Next time I see Kousei is tomorrow." She sighed heavily. "Gosh, I really hope this works." In the back of Sakura's mind, she was actually hoping that Kosuei would say no like everyone else. She didn't want to ruin his reputation by labeling him as the helper of the Sakura of all trades. She didn't want to bother him with this job, especially since his life calling is a soloist, not an accompanist.

Sorry, not a lot of action in this one.

Figured out the lie yet?