PROLOGUE

The moon shone long and high in the night sky. The sky stretched far wide, as far as the eyes could tell.

The night was like a dark abyss waiting to engulf anything or anyone that would dare to venture into it.

The Nightingale sang as if it was her last song, unaware of the things that lay ahead.

The forest was quiet, bathing in the silence the night offered.

The only sounds that could be heard were that of the cicadas and the crickets.

The silence of the forest was disturbed by a girl running.

She was running desperately to save her life. Running desperately to escape the monsters behind her.

Running into the forest was her last resort.

She knew mother nature understood her too well and that she would save her.

The dry leaves crushing and gravel crunching beneath her feet were the only other sounds that could be heard.

She ran fast, desperate to get away from her pursuers.

She came to a halt, when she could see the faint silhouette of something or rather someone, on the branch of a tree.

She could not move as if paralyzed while the silhouette jumped from the tree, landing next to her.

It came closer to her, but she didn't dare move backwards.

When it was finally inches away from her, she could clearly see the face because of the bright moonlight.

It was the man that she was running from.

It was the monster whom she was terrified of the most. It was the monster named YOONGI.

She shouldn't show how frightened she was, not now.

But she couldn't help it. Everyone was afraid of this man.

"Why were you running?"

She didn't utter even a single word. His face inched closer to her making her breathe hitch.

He opened his mouth to whisper in her ear, with his raspy, hoarse voice.

"Are you afraid of me?"

She looked in his dead, cold eyes and spoke,

"No."

"Then why were you running?"

The girl gathered her courage and spoke in her timid voice,

"Because you are a monster."