Chapter 5

Dr. Malloy poked his head into Mrs. Mcdeal's room. She was alone. He had heard earlier that a friend of hers had shown up for a while. He had hoped that maybe a familiar and friendly voice might wake her but she was still lost to them.

Juggling his tray he placed it on a Her table which had been moved out of the way. He had decided to have dinner with her. He had no one to go home to most of his family lived out of state. He couldn't really enjoy dinner in the nurses lounge because no matter where he sat he took up so much room someone always got up to leave table.

Besides he admitted he kind of liked her company even if she wasn't responsive. He liked to imagine having deep conversations with her. He set his plate up consisting of a sub sandwich and settled into the chair freezing slightly when it creaked. Once he was sure it was ok he relaxed and began speaking to her.

"You know in two days there's going to be a eclipse. Have you ever seen one? No? Me neither." He took a bite and waited until he swallowed to continue. " You know if you wake up I'd be more then happy to take you out side in a wheelchair so we can watch it. Of course you might not be into astronomy."

He frowned taking another bite then brightened up again. " I'll bet you like reading. I'll ask your friend Jessie tomorrow what you like to read and then I'll read it to you. You don't have to worry about being alone your friend said she was coming every day and I can read to you before I go home. My cat won't mind. " He let out a hollow chuckle.

" I know your probably not into guys like me but I still wouldn't mind being friends if you wanted..maybe going out for a latte' my treat? "

She twitched and he perked up. Her lips parted and sigh came out. Other than that there was no further movement. Still he was thrilled at even that meager response. He stood up careful not to knock his tray down and checked her eyes and urged her to squeeze his fingers. As before there was no response. He smoothed her hair down. It was so white like snow and incredibly soft. Somehow with her lovely Asian features it made her look like a powerful force straight out of movie . He could even imagine her wielding a katana.

He chuckled bashfully. Him and his imagination. He sat back down to finish his sandwich.

" Well whatever the case may be I'm not giving up. I'm gonna be on call all night and I'll have you monitored. If you can just try to meet me halfway I think we can get this licked."

He collected his wrapper and bottle of tea and tossed in the garbage before walking up to the bed again and taking her small hand wincing again at how huge his hands look. He remembered what he had been called all his life...he probably DID look like an ape. He rolled his shoulders in a shrug. Never mind the self pity now. He patted her hand.

"Mrs. Mcdeal I'll be on call all night long. I promise you no matter what, I won't give up on you".