Chapter 19

Dani decided to casually check out gaming central while the arcade was open. With Ralph and Felix busy on their games it was easy to slip out. Once she was at the game central she found it to be a long hallway of plugs giving life to each game within. The surge protector was on duty and he stopped her as soon as she stepped outside Fix it Felix Jr.

" Name?"

"Dani."

Rather then go through the usual boring questions he asked other characters he lifted his glasses to stare at her.

" What's your purpose here?"

Dani found herself opening her mouth. Nothing came out so she closed it...what the hell was her purpose here? That was a damn good question. She fidgeted a moment trying to think of something to say.

" My Purpose? Whoa wow that's heavy...I mean really what is the purpose of any of us right? I mean somewhere in this cosmic plane we have a purpose ... unless we don't have a purpose...but if we didn't have one that would kind of be a purpose to right? To have no purpose...

" Please stop ma'am." The surge protector asked politely. " Your the woman who got hit by lightening a few days ago while upgrading Fix it Felix."

" Well I ...what? I got hit by LIGHTNING? Inside the arcade?" Dani was so blown away she found herself gaping at the little man hoping she had heard wrong.

" Saw it myself ma'am and I can sense surges coming through and stop them before they fry the games. You were on your stomach sat up went to plug in the game and it hit you dead on in the back. I contacted 911 and they took you away. So..." He adjusted his glasses and sniffed " Why are you here? "

" I was hit by lightening? But I mean...does that mean I'm dead? " Dani placed her hands on her chest. Her heart was beating damn it. She was NOT dead. Maybe she wasn't alive like she had been or maybe she had her brain fried and replaced with this weird coded world but she was...not...dead!

The surge protector shrugged " Well you were still kicking a little when the ambulance took you away."

Dani Grabbed the surge protect causing him to drop his clipboard " Call the hospital! I need to talk to someone right now! If you can reach 911 you can help me reach the hospital!"

The surge protector pulled himself away and glared at her. " I will not abandon my duty while the arcade is open to mess with the phone lines."

" Well What about when it closes?!"

" Well I suppose I could take a few minutes to put you through the phone line but I warn you, you can't expose our world and cause the lot of us to be shut down."

Dani stared askance " What like you honestly think someone would believe me? Look I don't belong here. you know it, I know it, maybe you can work with me on this and keep this whole lightening thing between a few of us ok? "

" I don't gossip." The surge protector said looking affronted at the very thought.

" Ok that's great...now...where can I find the codes in the games? "

Four hours later the dance revolution character gave the all clear and The characters began mingling and heading out of their games. Both Ralph and Felix were more then a little miffed when they couldn't find Dani.

Ralph went through the whole dump with Qbert while Felix checked out all the apartments.

" Where could she be?" Felix asked worriedly looking around. " Did you check under your bed ?"

" Felix why in codes name would a woman hide under my bed?" Ralph asked perturbed. Then just for shits and giggles he went back into his shack and checked. Empty.

Sargent Calhoun appeared and Felix gave her a hurried kiss and explained the problem.

" Well she couldn't have gone far." Calhoun said.

" I'm just worried." Ralph replied heading to the train station.

" I'm sure she's fine brother, I mean really she's seems pretty smart and level headed how much trouble could she get into? " Felix replied hopping along.

Ralph didn't answer he leaned into the train cart and stood up with a piece of paper in his hand.

Angrily he turned and rubbed his eyes saying " Whelp she's in jail."

" What?" Felix squeaked shocked.

Calhoun merely took the paper from Ralph's hand and read it herself.

STOP. Character know as Dani has been officially arrested and charged with suspicious behavior of possible manipulation of codes. STOP. Here by character is now awaiting release at the holding box by the power cell in game central. STOP. Your presence requested as soon as possible for release upon your arrival. STOP.

" Well don't just stand there like fools get on the train." Calhoun said. She found herself biting her lip to keep from grinning. She was really starting to like this woman.