Chapter Two

The next day, John B and I stared in disbelief at the TV as the reporter broke the news.

"Hurricane Agatha continues its steady march towards Kildare Island on the Outer Banks of North Carolina."

"Holy shit," John B mutters next to me, pulling his phone out.

"Who are you calling?"

"DCS."

"And why would you willingly call them?"

He just shushed me and held the phone to his ear.

"Yeah, uh, I think we're probably gonna have to reschedule," he said into the phone just as the sirens started going off.

He hung up and motioned for me to follow him to the van. I rolled my eyes but followed after him. He pulled out of the marina parking lot and onto the road. I frowned.

"This isn't the way home."

"Nope."

"Care to enlighten me with where we are going?"

He smirked at the road in front of us.

"The beach."

"Dude, the storm surge is going to be really bad."

"That's the point."

"Oh."

We met Pope there just as the rain went from a nice drizzle to a torrential downpour. I struggled to pull my sopping wet hair into something resembling a ponytail and follow after John B and Pope, surfboard in hand.

"It's a double overhead out there, bro," Pop said, causing John B to pause.

"Double overhead?"

We stood on a small overhang, looking over the beach and the water. There was a sign making a poor attempt to block the path to the sand with a closed due to hurricane sign barely hanging on in the wind. The surge was definitely as bad as I thought it would be.

"Those aren't surfable waves, bro," Pope says, making one last effort to dissuade us.

I smirked as I looked at him.

"Challenge accepted."

I jogged down to the water, paddling out and ducking under the breaking waves. I threw up a hang loose sign as I pass John B who ducked under the wave I was riding.

An hour passed before I was exhausted from being thrown off my board and paddling against the strong current. John B and I rested next to each other, both straddling our boards as we try to catch our breathes, when I suggested heading home.

"Do you see that?"

I rolled my eyes at being ignored but entertained his question.

"See what?"