Chapter Fifty

We got to the storage unit where The Phantom was kept, and JJ slid open the door

"There she be."

I pursed my lips before sharing an unimpressed look with Kiara.

"Hey, girl." He greeted the boat before pulling a blanket off of the bow. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom."

JJ looked back to me with a grin on his face, and I smiled at him.

"The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours, Jo. Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen."

His enthusiasm was a nice change of pace considering how the day was going.

"It's kind of a junker."

I covered my mouth to try and keep the laughter in as JJ looked back at Kiara, offended.

"Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you. Let's just put it this way, you would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?"

"I just hope it runs," I said, running my hand across the hull as I made my way towards the stern.

"Oh, no, she'll run alright. She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got."

"I hope so."

The sound of a motorcycle approaching had all three of us turning towards the entrance.

"Pope, finally!" Kiara yelled, going to go meet him.

I followed after her, but the two of us froze when we saw someone walk in. It wasn't Pope.

"Hey, there. What's goin' on?"

I grabbed Kiara's wrist and pulled her behind me as Rafe walked toward us.

"JJ? How you guys doin'?"

I whipped my head around at the sound of a whistle, seeing Barry walk in from the other side.

"Well, well," the drug dealer said before pulling out a gun.

My heart hammered in my chest as he pointed it at JJ, causing the blond's hands to go into the air.

"See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money."

"JJ!"

I dropped Kie's wrist and lunged toward JJ and Barry as the latter sent him to the ground, but arms wrapped around me and lifted me off my feet. I tried to kick and struggle in Rafe's grip, screaming insults as I watch Barry smash JJ's head into the floor.

Rafe set me down and got in my face.

"It's not you we want, Josephine. Where's John B?"

"I don't know!" I emphasized my words with a slap across his face.