Chapter Five

I woke up to fingers running through my hair and blinked against the light of the sun multiple times before meeting bright blue eyes.

"We're at the dock," JJ whispered down to me, and I nodded.

I sat up, my head leaving JJ's very comfortable lap, and noticed that we were the last two on the HMS Pogue.

I stood and stretched with my arms going over my head. I turned around to see JJ staring at me.

"Um, where's everyone else?"

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and tried to hide the blush that was creeping up on my face.

While JJ was my best friend, I was not blind. JJ is quite attractive with the blond hair, blue eyes, and tanned skin. But rules are rules. No Pogue-on-Pogue macking.

"They're up there already."

I nodded silently before making my way off the boat and up the dock, quickly spotting the rest of our friends. I stood behind Kiara, and JJ stood next to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as someone was being pushed in a gurney. A woman ran up to it, crying.

"Who's that?"

I looked to my brother and then to the blonde girl who began speaking.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm. Check out his pic I got. Dead body."

I looked up to JJ with wide eyes, and he returned the look.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked the girl without breaking eye contact with me.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it."

We all agreed to head back to the Chateau after that, knowing we needed to discuss somethings. Like what the hell we were going to do with the information that we now had.

Pope ran up to the porch, having needed to stop by home first.

"Okay," he panted as he threw the door open. "So, um, we didn't see anything. We don't know anything."

I looked up from the book I was reading on the couch, feet propped up in Kiara's lap.

"We need to have total and complete amnesia."

Pope sat on the arm of the couch next to my head, and I nodded in agreement.

"Actually, Pope's right for once," JJ said, finally stopping fiddling loudly with his lighter. "See, I agree with you sometimes."

JJ stood up from the recliner.

"Deny, deny, deny," he spouted, pointing at Kiara, Pope, and I with each 'deny' as he walked up to John B.

"Guys, we can't keep that money," Kiara suddenly spoke up, and I raised an eyebrow at her from over the top of my book.

"Okay, not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara," JJ argued.