Chapter Twenty-Eight

John B started relaying his plan

"Oh, great. One of us is going to get killed."

"Trust me, dude."

I glared at John B.

After a quick pit stop for a suit for JJ and a dress for me, we pulled the HMS Pogue up on the sand.

"You ready?" JJ asked, and I nodded.

"Can you believe this Midsummer shit, man?" John B asked, and I rolled my eyes.

"Of course I can. Happens every year. No matter how screwed up the rest of us are."

"At least it's good for Pope's dad?" I tried to be optimistic, but the guys just glared at me.

We started walking towards the beautifully lit up building.

"So, like, what's the plan, exactly?"

John B seemed to leave out a few key details.

"You two are going to go in there and give this to Sarah."

I watched as John B handed JJ a piece of paper.

"Ooh! Can I read it?"

"No, you can't read it."

I watched as JJ read it.

"Who's Vlad?"

"God, do you ever listen?"

My face broke out into an unbelieving smile as I walked in front and turned to face my brother.

"Hang on. Are you macking Sarah Cameron?"

"Would you shut up?"

"Oh, my God. You're macking Sarah Cameron!"

"I'm doin' it for everybody, alright?"

I pursed my lips to keep a laugh from escaping and shared a look with JJ.

"What?" John B asked, obviously defensive.

"Nothin'. Thanks for being a team player, bro."

I laughed before reaching into JJ's backpack for my dress.

I slipped it over my clothes before pulling down my shorts, letting the dress cover me. My t-shirt was a bit harder, but I managed without giving JJ, my brother, and any bystanders a peep show. 

The dress, purchased from a second hand thrift shop, was a navy blue, maxi dress with a halter top that exposed my back, the straps of my swimsuit showed, but I only had so much time to try on dresses before John B said we had to go.

I pulled my hair down from the pony tail, tried to floof it and make it look presentable, and walked up to the boys.

"Ready?"