Chapter Eighteen

Hi so uhh idk if this is something that triggers people but in this chapter it talks a lot about incomplete families/ being seen as a mistake. So if ur not into that, probably stop reading.

"So, you're going to tell the truth?" Kaito stood across from Gakupo with his arms crossed.
"Yes..."
"Well, what is it?"
He took a deep breath, "I'm afraid of relationships because my dad left before I was born," it was the simplest way to start, to make sure he stayed attentive.
"That doesn't make sense, soulmates don't leave each other until death," he stated bluntly, clearly thinking it was a lie.
"I need to tell you the long version of the story."
"Fine."

Gakupo snuck up the stairs into his mother's office. She worked a lot on journalism, but also coding. She loved technology, and believed it could make a better world. However, the computer wasn't what he was interested in. There was one book on the shelf that he wanted to read. It was bound together by worn leather, and it had a bookmark near the end of it. He silently pulled it out of the shelf and tip-toed back to his room. He opened it up to read dozens of journal entries, mentioning a guy named Axel. They were so in love that they decided to save singing their melodies until their wedding day. They were going to live in a house at the end of the street with a cat, or maybe a dog. She'd pursue journalism while he worked with a big computer company. There were some messy entries, saying that she had gotten pregnant before marriage. A month before the child came, they both freaked out and sang their meoldies together. They weren't even close to matching up. After that, Axel left. She never heard from him again. She had given birth to a child that was probably the biggest mistake of her life. She named him Gakupo.

"That's... wow.." Kaito was struck by the story.
"I know, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you... I guess I was afraid that you'd see me as a mistake too," He looked away, trying to hide his tears.
"I'm sorry I pushed you," Kaito hugged him tight. They may have their differences, but they're friends. That was never going to change.
"There's just... one other thing."
"What?" He prepared himself for another explanation that would just make the last one sadder, but instead he got:
"I kissed Rin."