Chapter Three-Edited

"Two more rounds, cupcakes! Then we'll move on to drills!" There was a round of groans from the recruits at her words, a few curses here and there

"Two more rounds, cupcakes! Then we'll move on to drills!" There was a round of groans from the recruits at her words, a few curses here and there. "I'll add another if you keep grumbling!"

Peggy rolled her eyes, walking around the men on the ground to Kara. She paused briefly to nudge Rogers feet back down on the ground before offering him a sweet smile and continuing.

"You don't have to be such a hardass," she said quietly. A laugh bubbled up her throat when Adams placed a foot on Hodge's torso, holding him down from finishing his sit-ups.

Kara made a noise deep in her throat in protest. "If I want them to survive then yeah I do," She responded breezily, walking towards Erskine. The German doctor was leaning against a regulation Jeep next to Philips, an irritated look on his face.

She threw her arm around the man's shoulders, pulling him into a side hug. Philips shot her an annoyed face and continued on with his conversation. It had been a week and a half since the program started, Erskine was gearing up to make his decision.

"He's big, he's fast, he obeys orders. He's a soldier," Philips begged angrily. He gestured wildly towards the big man next to Rogers becoming more and more desperate. The look on Erskine's face told Kara exactly what was going on.

This was an ongoing argument. He wanted Rogers to be the guinea pig for Project Rebirth and Philips was fighting it because he was small. It's the only reason the experiment date has been pushed off for an extra three days. They couldn't agree on a candidate.

"He's a bully," Erskine defended. Kara arched a brow feeling the shift in emotion coming from Philips and reached into a box on the truck. She held the grenade in her palm loosely. The crate had 'dummy' painted on it.

"You don't win wars with niceness, Doctor," Philips sighed. He clenched his jaw tightly and yanked the grenade from her hand. Philips yanked the pin and chucked it into the middle of the recruits. "You win them with guts. Grenade!"

Kara squeezed her eyes closed, forcing herself not to react even though she knew it wouldn't explode. With a deep breath, She peeled her eyes open and watched the chaos that ensued the grenade.

The candidates leapt out of the way, hiding behind the circle of jeeps around them and piles of boxes. Peggy lunged forward to throw herself on top of it only to jerk back as Rogers did the same.

"Get away!" He shouted, curling tightly into himself waiting for it to go off. "Get back!"

Kara laughed lightly at his reaction. She hadn't expected him to do that. There hadn't been a single soldier that she'd seen willingly jump on a grenade in training.