Chapter Seven-Edited

Kara bumped Steve's hip with hers, sending a smile up to him

Kara bumped Steve's hip with hers, sending a smile up to him. "How do you actually feel, Steve?" She asked quietly enough for no one else to hear. He'd become significantly harder for her to read since he came out of that pod. "Taller isn't an emotion."

He rolled his eyes, thanking a nurse before tugging a shirt over his head. The collar mussed up his hair. She scrunched her nose up, standing on her tip toes to brush it back once more. He scoffed a laugh attempting to back away.

"Stop it, you big oaf, I'm trying to fix it."

"And your very much shorter than I am now," he said throwing an arm over her shoulders. "Your like 5'5"."

Her expression dropped, a grumpy look taking its place, and she nailed his side with her elbow. "Steven, you were 5'1" ten minutes ago. Besides I'm 5'8," She snapped back, crossing her arms over her chest as he rubbed his ribs. "Are you gonna answer me or not?"

He laughed lightly at her sudden change in disposition. He'd noticed she did that quite often. It was like a switch that flickered between professionalism and humor. Steve didn't particularly like that it stayed flipped one direction around him.

"I'll be honest, I'm nervous," Steve finally answered. He looked down at her with a bright look in his eyes. "What happens now?"

"You'll be trained and sent overseas. After they've taken some blood. Brandt will want to know exactly what the serum did to your genetics before he allows the project to continue," she answered, resting a hand on her hip. Kara pursed her lips in thought. "Where you'll be trained, I have no idea but it's unlikely it will be back where you started."

Her back was to the booth when a zing went down her spine. Steve seen her tense as he watched her expression shift.

Kara snapped her head over to the stairs in an instant. She narrowed her eyes at the man walking down them. A breath caught in her throat. "GET DOWN!"

Steve followed her gaze confusedly before grabbing her around the waist and throwing them both to the floor. She threw her arm around his shoulders on instinct, preventing her head from hitting the cement, and hid her face in his neck.

Glass ricocheted out of the booth, heat flaring out of the now broken windows. Pieces scattered over the ground around them. Each piece felt like a spark when it hit their skin.

"Are you okay?" Steve asked urgently.

"I'm fine." She winced, the sound of a gunshot a bit too loud in the small room. Kara clicked the safety off one of her guns as she pulled it from her hip.