Chapter Five-Edited

Steve and Peggy piled into the car shortly after it pulled up to the base

Steve and Peggy piled into the car shortly after it pulled up to the base. It was near silent for a moment as they settled in to their seat before Steve caught a glimpse of Kara's arm as she shut the door. They both did a double take at what she was wearing.

The agent had donned a leather suit just in case something happened. While it wasn't the most comfortable item she owned, it was more protective against a stray bullet than her t-shirts. It was what she wore on missions and the only suit that the SSR had given her.

Her old one was a much too small by the time the SSR allowed her assignments of her own. Besides it was blood stained.

"You ready?" Kara asked Steve as he leaned into the seat behind him. Her eyes squinted at the slight tilt to the hat they'd made him wear and she reached over to fix it.

"Not really," He replied, ducking his head to make it easier. "Thanks."

"No problem and you'll be fine," she smiled. "I hope," she muttered under her breath as an afterthought. Her body shifted towards Peggy hoping he hadn't heard her words. "Who all is going to be there?"

Peggy gave an annoyed look and she immediately knew what was coming. "Howard Stark, Philips, some doctors and scientists, and a few people with political power," she almost growled flicking the people off on her fingers. Kara could hear the absolute disdain at the mention of Stark.

It's not that she didn't like the man she just found his flirty nature a bit annoying. Kara, on the other hand, thought he was very entertaining.

"I see that smirk! Don't laugh at my pain," she said, scowling at her. Kara threw her hands up in surrender and slouched into her seat. "And please sit up."

A giggle burst from her lips as she sat up better. Unlike most people, Peggy refused to slouch in her seat and Kara had a tendency to scrunch herself lower just to annoy her. It was a never ending cycle of her chiding Kara for it and Kara forcing her body lower.

"I know this neighborhood," Steve chimed in suddenly, sitting up straighter. "I got beat up in that alley," he nodded towards a passing break in the street. "And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

Kara sniffed as her blond friend pointed out each place. "What was wrong with giving up?" She asked quietly. While she appreciated the bravery of it, when you were actively loosing sometimes it was best to cut your losses.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy looked to Steve curiously. Her dark eyes flicked over Kara knowingly before starring out the window at the passing storefronts.

"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?" Steve stared at the seat beside Kara's shoulder, a flicker of sadness shooting across his face. She reached over, placing a comforting hand on his knee, and drew all that out. He switched his eyes up to her and smiled slightly.

"I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face," Peggy started. She focused her gaze outside the car on the other side of the street. There was a small frown deepening on her brows as her emotions flared harshly.

Kara bit down on her lip. She knew what that was like more than most. Her training never allowed for any special interests and it felt like she was shut down at every step she took. All she ever had the time to do was survive. Her hazel eyes decided to focus on a crack in the leather seat.

"I guess I just don't know why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful...a woman. An agent, not a dame! You're both beautiful, but..." Steve stammered awkwardly glancing between the two of them. He gave a short nervous laugh and looked down to his feet.

"You have no idea how to talk to women, do you?" Peggy asked, a soft look on her face. Kara chuckled at her words and then laughed harder as Steve gave a bright closed lipped smile. Clutching her abdomen, her fingertips brushed against the thick scars on her spine and suddenly she was back against that cold stone wall.

In those moments she could feel every lash from a failed assignment and every life slipping away in her fingertips. With a shuddering breath, she shook herself out of her memories. Today was not the day to be distracted.

The little antique store rolled up quickly. The dilapidated storefront more molded over than ever. There was sale signs hanging on the windows and a little old lady coming out of the back. She made a comment about the weather offhandedly before allowing them behind the counter

They headed into the store as one unit giving the lady a nod and heading through the door to the elevator in the back.

"So," Steve drew out as they stepped into the elevator. "What's with the leather?" Peggy let out a sigh, putting her head in her hands.

Kara looked down at the black leather jumpsuit that tucked into a pair of combat boots and laughed. There was a thick belt strapped around her waist stocked with a number of throwing knives and two guns. A set of special knives were also tucked into her boots. "Um, I'm generally a "field agent"."

"Are you leaving?" He asked as the doors opened. His eyes trained on Peggy when she shook her head and stalked down the hall.

"No, not yet at least." Kara sent a small smile back towards him, pushing the door open. The grated staircase caught roughly on the grips of her boots as she guided Steve forward. "Down there."

He headed down the stairs to Erskine glancing back up every once in awhile. Kara watched him for a moment while Erskine and him conversed before scanning over the rest of the room.

She'd leaned from a young age not to trust politicians or, to be quite frank, scientists. This place would be flooded with people she had very little faith in, in a few moments and that terrified her.

"Mr. Stark, how are your levels?" Erskine called. Her eyes snapped back to him, searching for their test subject, who was already on the metal pod.

"Levels at 100%!" Stark said coming out from behind a set of control panels. He looked up at her and grinned. "Ah, Miss Kara Maeve, you coming down here or what?"

"Oh, you wish Stark," she laughed, jumping off the last step. Kara weaved through the nurses milling about to stop in front of him. "It's good to see you."

He threw his arms around her waist, resting his chin on her shoulder. It was a bit awkward due to the height difference but standing on her tip toes helped slightly.

"Same to you. Though I would have preferred to see you at the expo," Howard chuckled pulling back to rest his hands on her shoulders. "Didn't think you'd be here."

"You know how I feel about crowds. I didn't think I would be here either," She said looking up to the booth above them where Philips sat, an angry frown on his face.