Chapter Eleven-Edited

Kara chased after the blond man blindly, shouting apologies to all the people either of them ran into

Kara chased after the blond man blindly, shouting apologies to all the people either of them ran into. Sliding a few inches in the mud, she finally caught up to him

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" She frowned as her threw his duffle bag into the back of a Jeep. Steve turned to her, holding onto the edge of the jeep. Kara let out a breath at the kicked puppy like look on his face, "He's not here, is he?"

He only shook his head.

"Do you know where we're going?"

He whipped around to face her fully. "You're not coming," he said firmly. Kara only arched a brow and leaned back an inch.

"The hell I am," she answered. She let her eyes stray from him to the rest of the base.

People payed little mind to either of them. A small smile crossed her lips as she watched everybody barely glance at them. So, he had picked up a few things from her.

Both Steve and Kara looked casual to an outsider. No one else noticed the tenseness across his shoulders or the harshness of her gaze. Anybody walking past only saw the pair talking not the tension growing thick.

Kara pulled in a deep breath, speaking entirely under her breath. "You don't have the experience for me to feel comfortable with you going in alone."

"And I don't feel comfortable putting you in danger," he shot back, though a small smile spread across his face.

Spinning on her heel, Kara gave him a pointed look and disappeared into an empty tent. Steve clenched his jaw but followed after her.

"Kara, I—"

"You have no concept of what exactly I do here, do you?" She cut him off, her back to him as she leaned against her desk. Steve paused for a long moment to scan over her. He was only just noticing the gun concealed on her hip and the knives strapped on her thigh. "You don't want to put me in danger, you don't want to hit me in training..."

He swallowed harshly. She'd never spoken to him in the tone she was now. He'd never felt what she felt before but now he was. Somehow she was projecting her emotions onto him.

There was fluid tightness across her back as she pressed her hands against her desk. "What exactly do you think I did before I was told to train you?"

Steve wracked his brain for the words. He knew she was a field agent but, the longer he thought about it, he realized he had never thought she'd seen active combat. "...You're a field agent."