Chapter Nineteen-Edited

Steve held onto Kara's hand steadfastly

Steve held onto Kara's hand steadfastly. He wasn't risking losing her like he did Bucky. She let him; her fingers still shaking from her brief brush with death.

The hold her other hand had on her knives calmed it some but Steve still tightened his hold every few seconds. He didn't even let her split from him to go  follow behind him when the halls got too narrow.

"So, Viper? Where did that come from?" Steve whispered as they crept through the back of the plane.

Kara snorted quietly. She wasn't surprised but she had expected him to ask earlier. "My training," she answered. "The program was titled the Viper program. I got the title when I graduated."

He nodded, glancing back at her the further toward Red Skull they got. Worry flared in him the more he thought about where they were.

He didn't want to get her killed. Steve knew she'd fought Red Skull directly before but it was different now. They didn't have just one focus—they had to get the cube too.

The super soldier looked back at her once more. It felt like he was watching a hurricane push ever closer to shore. That sinking feeling seconds before disaster that clung to the lungs.

Kara squeezed his hand tightly. She could feel it too. Every step she took sent sharp jolts of something through her. It wasn't pain but it wasn't pleasant.

She set her jaw. Sometimes being an empath really sucked.

"I never asked are you any good at flying these things?"

"I wouldn't say I'm good at it but I can do it."

Steve let a short relived breath, watching as the cockpit opened up in front of them. "Good, I've only done this once."

He let her hand drop back to her side as Red Skull came into view.

"You don't give up, do you?" Red Skull snarled turning to face the two of them. HIs gaze turned violent when it landed on Kara. "And you've brought the Viper."

Steve clenched his jaw at the venom in his tone. Instead of focusing on Schmidt, he watched Kara maneuver her way into the middle of the cockpit. He was always going to make sure she was out of harms way.

Kara looped her fingers into the knifes at her waist—they were new—scanning over Schmidt calculatingly. She needed to get the cube but he had to go down.

She narrowed her eyes on the clamps holding the cube in place. It didn't look like there was a release.

Glancing over at Steve as he threw the first punch, she ducked towards the clamp. Her fingers traced over it in search of the release that she hoped she just couldn't see.