Chapter Four-Edited

The night before Project Rebirth really took place Kara couldn't seem to fall asleep

The night before Project Rebirth really took place Kara couldn't seem to fall asleep. Her mind kept flipping through all the targets she'd taken out and all the innocent girls she had to kill to survive. It had gotten to the point where she'd begun to think she needed to try the cuffs. Kara still had the scars from that torture the academy had used against its students.

They would latch tight handcuffs around one of her wrists so she couldn't get away. Nightmares were absolute murder to that wrist. She could remember waking up bloody and bruised with new scars. A pale ringlet circled her wrist as memorabilia to that.

When Erskine first took her in those had been the first thing to go. He'd woken up to her thrashing around in her sleep, her wrist rubbed raw from the cuff. He'd melted them down as soon as he could.

Kara rolled onto her back with a groan, scrubbing her hands over her face. She flung the scratchy green blanket off with a huff. She needed to find Erskine or Peggy. Someone who was up that could distract her for a few hours.

Erskine had always said he'd be there if she needed to talk. And he had been since she was thirteen, at any time, night or day. He'd heard about all the people she'd killed and all the pain she'd been through. Hell, he'd been there when she got back from Pearl Harbor with six new gunshots scars. He was the only living person that knew everything about her. Even down to the little idiosyncrasies that came with growing up how she did.

Kara hadn't had to go to him about her past in years. And she felt pathetic having to now, she was twenty years old for god's sake. She had been since March, it was June, she'd been an actual adult for three months. She felt like she shouldn't need her father figure to go crying to every time she couldn't sleep. It wasn't what she was trained to do and, frankly, she kind of hated that she relied on him so much.

Sucking in a deep breath, Kara pulled on a sweater and stepped out of her bunk to find Erskine. For all she knew he could have been anywhere on or off base. She sighed deeply, raking a hand through her hair. This was going to take forever.