Chapter 4: Kindness Of The Heart

Bella didn't hear the last part. She was busy looking this Lou character over completely. His hair was a mixture of sandy brown and dark brown, brushed to the left side and slightly upwards in a perfect, yet effortless manner. He had sparkling, mesmerizing, blue eyes that you could get lost in for hours. He wore a white and red stripped shirt, with a light white jacket over it. He wore red jeans, rolled up at the bottom, and red Toms. He matched quite well. Bella knew he couldn't be from around here, he was too British sounding, and too stylish. He seemed like the type of boy that every girl fell for. Bella thought people like this only existed in movies.

Bella snapped back to reality at the sound of Lou giggling. Lou was staring at her, laughing, as if waiting for her to say something. Bella just looked at Lou. He stuck his hand out. "I.. am... L-O-U-EEE." He repeated, very slowly, sticking out his hand.

Bella raised her eyebrow and stared down at his hand.

The boy continued, "And you are?..." Deep in thought, Bella continued to stare at his hand, not even noticing his question.

She thought about the last time someone shook her hand or the last time someone wanted to know her or the last time someone was actually nice to her.

She couldn't recall. No one had been that nice to her since her mother died. And that was 9 years ago. She was eight. She hadn't really had friends since then. Everyone was afraid and disgusted by her. But this boy showed kindness to her for a change. And as over-exaggerated as it may sound to any other regular person, this small action took her by surprise and she felt overwhelmed with emotion.

Lou giggled quietly, again snapping her back to reality. She realized she'd just been staring at his hand. "You're supposed to shake it, you know. Here, like this, darlin'." Lou took his hand and attempted, with much difficulty, to shake his own hand. Bella laughed, too quiet for Lou to hear.

Why was he like this? Why was he being so sociable with her when it was obvious she was lonely, awkward, and broken?

Bella stared back down to his hand again and bit her lip, tears threatening to spill. Everything hit her like a bus. All the memories of being lonely, all the nights she cried herself to sleep, all the school days she spent eating her lunch in a bathroom stall trying to avoid everyone. And there was this beautiful boy who approached her and wanted to shake her hand.

It was crazy really, how a simple friendly gesture could affect someone so damaged.

She looked back up at him, her tears finally making their way down her face.

Lou's smile flashed off his face as he saw her first tear trickle down her face. "Woah, woah. What's wrong, love? I'm not THAT ugly, am I?"He said, looking, fakingly worried, over himself. She laughed, quickly between a sob. When he realized the funniness wasn't working, he jumped off his swing, and came to her side, wiping her tears away with his thumb. Then he wrapped his arms around her fragile, small body. "Shhh... shhhh.... It's alright... It's okay..." He whispered into her ear.

Bella stiffened. What... he was hugging her? She... she hadn't really been hugged in years... But... it was nice. She relaxed, letting the feeling of being cared for seep into her. Bella sniffed, trying to hold back the tears. But when Lou hugged her, she broke down. It was the first time in nine years that she ever felt loved, important. Bella committed this moment to memory, thinking it would be the last time she would ever feel cared for again.

Bella stopped crying, and Lou pulled back, holding Bella at arms distance, making sure she was okay. "Thank you." Bella muttered. Her voice was thick with an Irish accent. Of course, Louis forgot. He lived in Ireland now, of course her voice was Irish...Louis was confused by her crying and thank you, but he knew she wasn't ready to talk about it, so instead he just nodded, and hopped back on his swing.

Louis sat there, watching this girl recover. She was so beautiful. She had long, dark brown hair with a slight wave to it. Her outfit matched perfectly. He especially liked her black shirt. 'One Direction'...a very catchy and interesting saying. She was tan, with chocolate brown eyes. Her eyes were so intriguing. They were so beautiful, yet they swam with much pain. Lou felt the need to get to know this girl...

Louis smiled at her beauty. Bella felt better as she saw him smile. She loved his smile. Embarrassment took over as she realized she practically cried her heart out in front of a stranger. "Sorry about that." She said.

"It's okay." He laughed. "So, what IS your name, darlin'?" Bella frowned. She still wasn't sure why he wanted to know... Was it some type of dare to talk to her? No. He seemed too genuine for that... Lou noticed her frown, and started frowning himself. Did she not want him here?... "I'm sorry... Here, I won't bother you..." He said, getting up, slowly.

Bella looked up at Lou. His smile was too perfect for him to frown. He was like an angel, and angels shouldn't frown. She would do anything for him to smile, again.

"No!" she almost shouted. "No, stay! Please..." she begged. Lou spread a huge smile across his face. "My name is Bella. Bella Nightshade." Sitting back down, Lou's smile got even wider, if possible, as he whispered Bella's name under his breath.

-----------------------------

A/N: hey guys! I'm up to 30 reads, yay! But no one has commented! I would really like some feedback, so PLEASE TWEET ME OR COMMENT!!! xxx @Hartzzy1D love ya!

-Gretchen